Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

my rant

MowerMechanic

Time to burn me at the steak guys but this has been long time coming. The 6200 and 6500 series simplicity's. What a joke, the engineer must have come over from Honda or John Deere. These things are the worse to work on. Over engineered. Too much going on in too tight of spaces. They are a nightmare to do anything major to. I have had both these models for several years now and they are tough,reliable and down right monsters but if you unlucky enough to have one of these break down on you prepare for a lot of "*#@*@" and a lot of "why the heck did they do it like that?". Once fixed it is one heck of a machine again but come on simplicity truely made these UNsimple tractors.

Don, I have an Allis 810GT which is the same as a 6010 simplicity. Not sure how much different yours are, but I haven't found mine to be hard to work on at all. Just curious, what problems are you having that cause so much misery? Steve

Getting to the gas tank, steering gears, and variable speed components (all located under the dash) are what I find to be a nuisance on the 6200s.

I dropped the rear end in my 810 last year and replaced bearings and seals on the axle shafts. Was a one afternoon job on mine. I did have to bore and sleeve the housing on one side because of excessive wear but the teardown and reassembly went well. Haven't done much under the tower, but did pull the dash to replace the two green indicator lights and also to redo the wire hookup on the ammeter. That was a bit of a pain in the rearend, but not really bad. Will be doing it again soon tho because the gas tank has become loose, and I think there is something slipped out of place in there. I agree that often there are better ways to do things than what the manufacturers do, but that is true on most everything. I worked on a neighbors murrey rear engine rider a few weeks ago, think I just stopped bleeding this morning! Now that is a piece of work! Steve

While overall new to the 6200, some of it very similar to my 5200. Did the to remove the tower, which was a bit of a pain, to install a new used lower tower, but them was able to clean 29 years of "stuff" out from under, and lub the pivot points. Agree that could have been better, but enjoyed the time spent. If your able to lift it up a bit, open to some extent under tractor, thought tight fit. Tranny will have to be good for this winter, as running out of time. Front end gone through well, and most painted. Seat pan and tranny for next summer. My two cents, as down the road maybe a 7100, but for now working with what I have.