Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
timflury

I Learned a lot today.....

timflury
..... using my Brinly plow. I was plow day in my local area, so I took my LL and plow out to learn how to set it up and CORRECTLY use the plow. Sorry for the lack of pictures, my camera operator had to stay home today. First, my guide would not stay flat in the bottom of the furrow, also, Brinly recommends removing the bolts in the hitch adapter to allow the plow to swing (keep the plow straight, put the bolts back in, trust me). So, It looked like my plow was more of a cultivator plus I wasn't making a good furrow (although it was deep) for the next guy. Also, I was noticing the soil falling back into the furrow. Second, I the soil had different composition and elevation changes which made it difficult to run the length of the field straight. the low spots were real soupy from the rain the day before. But I digress, it was the nature of the "beast". Third, I have the "old" style of hitch adapter where the plow hangs from a chain when it is raised. This also would allow the plow to not sink into the soil far enough and I would in turn over adjust the depth adjustment to try to get the share to dig further down into the soil, but yet again, the plow would swing to the left and act like a "V" plow.

D10-Allis
Tim, If you have a Brinly plow you neede to buy or build a hitch like this that will hold it straight ]

If you have a Allis or Simplicity plow Save your original hitch, make a new one that is squared off and has positive stops on both sides leaving a small gap, this allows you to still use the chain for lifting only because the plow floats and pulls itself down. I made these and they work great.

timflury
Jeff, After I got home, I installed the two bolts into my hitch adapter to eliminate the swing of the plow.

I also found out that I was missing the carraige bolt near the bottom of the standard.:I

I also set a "static" depth adjustment my measuring the distance of the hitch pins to the floor (8") and adding 5" and then turning the depth adjustment to get 13" from the sleeve hitch holes to the floor. Now how much weight is enough??? I have loaded the tires with washer fluid, 40# each, and I weighted the left rear tire with 60# of concrete. Oh yeah, what should my ground speed be??? Brinly recommends full throttle in third gear. I tried that, but the engine could barely handle the loads plus I was REALLY clipping along and catching up to the tractor in front of me. I'm thinking about putting a larger driven pulley on the tranny to slow the tractor down a bit. Second gear did better, but I think it was just a little bit slow.

D10-Allis
As long as your tire is on the ground and you have traction that should be enough weight, around here everybody plows in high gear, if you plow in 2nd gear maybe your a little to deep adjust it up and then try 3rd again. 10" plow should be around 5" deep. whatever works best for you. good luck