Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Gov to Carb rod question

joelk

Briggs 12 HP 300421-0127. I noticed that the rod connecting the governor to the carb is installed 180 degrees out of whack and rubs against the engine bolt. I would like to remove it and turn it around but don't know what the best method is for this. 1. Do I have to remove anything to disconnect the rod. 2. What do I need to watch for so that I don't screw anything up.

Can you bend the rod a little to clear the bolt? The toughest part of carb install is the rubber breather tube. If you have the one piece carb air cleaner tube, the breather tube must be removed. If the rubber is hard from years of use it usually breaks. New ones are only $5 or so, and makes the install easier.

Wow, that worked great! I thought this was some precision stuff that I would have to re-do the govenor setup etc, but I just bent it out of the way and everything was happy. Before, I couldn't get a low speed idle because the governor kept fighting me, now I've got the nice low speed idle.