Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 410 w/ Shuttle Drive.........

LesH

I just got an AC 410 w/ shuttle drive. It looks to be all original and not abused. It has the 3 speed manual shift with the shuttle drive. Is the shuttle drive a sheave that makes a vari-drive in each gear??

Not variable ..... it uses a planetary gearset to reverse the direction of the input shaft on the gearbox. So you get full whack forward to reverse in four speeds. Clutching is not necessary, but I do it for less stress on the drivetrain and a smoother transition ....

Well I have been working with my 2 410s that I have. I am struggling though. I am unable to get the proper tenssion to have full forward and reverse gears.. It is eitheer one way or the other. Wondering if anyone else can help me here..... Should be able to start out in 2,3,and 4th gears going forward without having to put your hand on the tire and try and push start yourself. Will not maintain any sort of speed ither............ HELP PLEASE.

Bobby ...... first make sure your belts, bearings and bushings are good. If you are new to these machines, I would suggest getting the manual and doing a complete tear down and inspection of the sheaves and planetary before you even worry about the adjustment. Re-pack with grease, make sure your belts are in good shape and adjust per the manual. The manual gives good detail and will reliably get you very close ...... Keep the manual close by and pay attention to the way everything stacks on the shaft and in the planetary. This will take some time, but is worth the while to prevent a major malfunction later.