Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Water in transmission - cause?

donmoore1904
I bought my 7010 3sp back in 2003. I changed the transmission oil shortly after purchase, and only that one time. When I opened up the transmission last week, after draining the oil, I had water (maybe 1 ounce) that came out with some sludge. A few steel parts (a 1" long spacer, a washer) had signs of corrosion on them. I split a second 3sp transmission from a 3410 last week, and there was no water in it. The steel parts were cleaner. I noticed on the 3410 tranny, there is a vented plug up at the top, on the 7010 it is solid. The parts diagram on both calls for a solid plug, so it looks like someone added the vent on the 3410. I see in the gear transmission manual generously supplied by member Scott that the hole for the hollow split pin in the case that stops the shift stem appears to continue at a right angle upwards, to vent the transmission "On later models". I noticed mine usually is a later model. My guess is the reason I ended up with water is this vent got clogged. Has anyone else had this issue?

dentwizz
Condensation is also a factor. I have had watersludge in my 64 LL from old non-syn oil and age. Engines usually heat it out. That is a large part of why I consider it important to change trans oil when I get a trac.

donmoore1904
That is what I was suggesting - condensation due to the vent being clogged. But what I found since yesterday is my cases (ca 1974-1975) do not have a vent as far as I can tell. The 3410 had an elbow, like the fill elbow, up top, with the vent plug in it. I am guessing the elbow is to keep oil from reaching the metal mesh in the vent. I was going to just put the vent plug in sideways, but I transferred the elbow arrangement over to the 7010, which I just today completed rebuilding. I was hoping others would chime in. It seems like this would be a definite issue on older tractors, if a vent is indeed needed.

LesH
Also-- when I want to clean the old dirt off I go to the carwash-- and always forget about thae vents- on the transmission and bevel gearbox-- water I believe got in that way......

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by LesH
Also-- when I want to clean the old dirt off I go to the carwash-- and always forget about thae vents- on the transmission and bevel gearbox-- water I believe got in that way......
That is a good point. They have a metal mesh that looks copper in color. I would assume you would have to shoot water right at the opening to have an issue. I have never cleaned my tractor :D I'll probably do it now after investing all this time. The next thing I want to do is refinish the hood. I have a spare to use in the meantime, and hope to let the refinished one cure several months.