Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
timflury

What engine paint have you used??

timflury
I'm looking for sources for painting my Briggs engine. (black) What is the best engine paint out there?? I will be using rattle can(s). I am looking also for the closest match in the finish. I don't want the thing too glossy. I also want a paint that's not going to go on too thick like Rust-Oleum does.

Burntime
Bar-b-cue paint has a higher heat rating if I am not mistaken... You could also go to a wood stove store and buy thier paint...usually 3 or 4 black colors to choose from and it will not cook off. Read the can, you do not want the stuff on you or breath it... I got really dizzy and almost dropped when I resprayed a wood fireplace insert and had it just on my hands...

HubbardRA
I would use the Barbecue grill paint or woodstove paint because it air cures. The paint for exhaust headers is good for very higher temperatures up to being red hot at around 1600 degrees, but most brands only fully cure with heat which if I remember correctly is somewhere between 300 and 600 degrees. Most of an engine will "never" reach 300 let alone 600 degrees. I found out the hard way that partially cured header paint will wipe off. The factory header paint is pre-cured so it doesn't have this problem. I was once given a set of headers that had some surface rust. I sanded them down smooth and painted them with the high temperature header paint. I ruined a beautiful paint job while bolting them on the engine. I found out you really can't touch the paint with any significant pressure till the paint heats up and fully cures or it will either come off on your hands or slide on the metal surface. Why not just go to an auto parts store and buy black engine paint? That is what I do on all my automobile engines.

timflury
Simpletom also used the Rust-oleum satin black finish. I went to my local TSC and picked up a can of the Valspar grill paint. I'm not happy with the fact that the paint requires a hot cure period.. I painted a small part today with it and I ended up putting it on my grill to cure after cooking dinner. The paint didn't feel dry after a few hours. Valspar recommended a cure time after general handling after a one hour dry time. I guess we all learn from our experiences.