Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hey guys she broke a rod.....

Timothyb

Hey guys this is the third time my rod has broke on my 301kholer. I have found another engine a 10hp kholer from a wheel horse I am wondering though if it will fit in a cub cadet 100.

Hi, Re: rod failure. Over how long a period? (hrs use?) What oil are you using? How fast is it running? Are they Kohler rods, or aftermarket? How often do you change the oil? Are they the new style "Posilock rods or the older ones with bolts? Once the posilock rods are installed and torqued, they are never supposed to be loosened and reused. How round is the crank and how worn? Is there metal transfer from the rod to the crank, (aluminum buildup on the crankpin?) if so it is a lack of lube failure. New engines with metal transfer no mater what brand are not warrantied, unless some thing like an oil pump fails first. Maybe we can solve the problem. Al Eden

I had the engine running for around 3 hours its after market rod, and i am using 30 weight oil, also i am running it at a low idle. My crank is smooth and round like new and the piston chamber is smooth also. My cub motor also has s flat base its not a deep oil pan.

what model wheel horse did the engine come out of ?. most of them had the ears{flanged} on the oil pan. the cub pan has no ears and has a short oil dipper on the rod. there is a few wheel horse models that have that style. you will know right away when looking at the oil pans. i think some deers had the same as a cub. wheel horse pan
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!BrpyiGwBGk~$(KGrHqMOKi0EvN9qwlwVBL0lmqbu9!~~_3.JPG[/img]
cub oil pan
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!B2-EM4gBWk~$(KGrHqMOKjcE)d0zTnIUBMkil91D-!~~_12.JPG[/img]