Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

New axle tube - paint it?

donmoore1904
Seems like if I don't the result will be pretty obvious - a nice new rusted shaft. I was thinking just a thin coat in case I have to take it apart for some reason. I am a bit concerned about paint getting into the seal. I'll probably tie a piece of string around it or something, right at the joint. My 3sp is back together and works great sitting on the bench sm01 nice and clean too.

sammiefish
after I replaced my axle tube I painted the exposed portions. I didn't worry that some paint got on the seal. not sure how they did it at the factory but all that Ive seen were painted originally

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
after I replaced my axle tube I painted the exposed portions. I didn't worry that some paint got on the seal. not sure how they did it at the factory but all that Ive seen were painted originally
I think you are right - probably overthought it. The seal will in all likelihood keep out the paint, and even if a little overspray seeps in it would get worn off quickly. Yeah - I noticed both mine are painted, I figure they all must be. Who wants to look at rusted axles, right?

sammiefish
quote:
Originally posted by donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
I think you are right - probably overthought it. The seal will in all likelihood keep out the paint, and even if a little overspray seeps in it would get worn off quickly. Yeah - I noticed both mine are painted, I figure they all must be. Who wants to look at rusted axles, right?
i hope the seal will keep the paint out!! :) and holy moly... for the price of a new axle tube ... darn right im not gonna look at a rusty tube! but then again, ya only buy new tubes if youre gonna keep her' otherwise a used previously painted tube would be just fine!! that is unless you want to risk the tear down again.. .I wish I had that kind of time... but then again i wish I had the $ to put new parts in all my projects...

timflury
Really guys, the seal is designed to keep foreign objects out as well as to keep the oil in. Go ahead and paint it, and whatever the long term results might be would be considered "patina".

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Really guys, the seal is designed to keep foreign objects out as well as to keep the oil in. Go ahead and paint it [snip].
Yeah, I think that was Chris' point. I have seen more than one person complain that after this job was done their axle seal leaks. I have so many hours in this, I would hate to have to go back in for any reason. I do appreciate it was a silly question.

dentwizz
Most of what I have seen with seal leaks was more a product of loose fitting bearings allowing seal wobble. The paint will if anything aid in clogging leaks until it wears off. They paint the engines and transmission assemblies in the factory after assembling them to minimize scratches, therefore it can't be too bad;)