Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JDSnyder

Simple Tractors means "Simple"

JDSnyder
I so enjoyed restoring my 65 Simplicity Landlord, that when I got it finished I was looking for something else to work on. A friend, who is an antique tractor collector, made me a deal that if I would restore a John Deere 110 for him he would give me another one. I'm into the tear down and boy are those tractors complicated compared to Simplicity. I think they are quality, but JD engineers sure did things the hard way. There are grease zerks up under the frame the average homeowner would never find (or bother with), so the parts wore out. There are also springs, rods pins and adjustments up under the recessed frame. Attachments are much harder to take on and off, too. It's no wonder the Simplicity and AC tractors are still out there working while so many others are on the scrap heap or "museum" pieces!

JDSnyder
Thanks for the warning on the cost of parts. I hadn't even thought of that. The JD Garden Tractor Club on Yahoo doesn't really give many links to sources for parts. It isn't anywhere even close to the resource SimpletrACtors is

JimDk
Jeff,You are so right about the difficulty of changing attachments.I had the pleasure of helping a friend change from mower deck to tiller on his JD212.It took nearly two hours with the instruction book.Granted it would take less time to change again,but never the easy 15min.it takes me to make the same change on my B112. Jim

sask
The same thing goes for Gilson; the engineers there must have spent days trying to devise the most complicated way of putting things together on some of their tractors (especially their later models)