Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC710

Thanks for the info

AC710
I am a new member and new to AC tractors. I bought an AC 710 last year mainly for a spare-time project. It had a screechy chatter in the BGB and I needed to find some info about working on it. Your tech tips had just the thing I needed - service manual pages with complete instructions. Thanks! I lucked out on the rebuild. It only needs one ball bearing. everything else is in great shape. Now the challenge is getting the bearing. Automotive stores don't have it, and the websites say it is obsolete, no longer produced. Tomorrow (monday) I'll check the local bearing supply house.

RayS
Welcome to the club! If it is the ball bearing it is part number 172256. There are two. If it is the needle bearing there are two as well and the part number is 154279. Go to the link below and it will tell you the price and the new number if it has been superceded. Then you will have an idea when you go to you local dealer what they go for. Jacks prices are 10 - 20% cheaper but after you pay shipping it is about the same. I use my local dealer that way if I any issues I don`t have to ship back. You can also download a Simplicity equivalent manual for your tractor so you don`t have part number issues. The 7/8" ID. ball bearing in these bevel gear boxes are a proprietary bearing and will be very difficult to find at a bearing supply store. At least I haven`t had any luck. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm

AC710
Thanks for the reply. I have the manuals from Simplicity - a great service from them! Neither Simplicity's numbers nor Jack's superceded numbers, nor the numbers off the bearings and seals would cross reference with the books at NAPA or Car Quest. BCA's website, who made the original bearings, says they are obsolete and no longer produced. I will try the Kaman bearing store here and then go to Jack's. Kaman is a high-tech outfit that supplies parts for helicopters, so surely they must be compatible with old simplicity tractors :DLOL.I have avoided Jack's until now because it is such a long way from there to Montana!

RayS
PN#: 172256 has been superceded to PN# 2172256 it is $23.38 at a Simplicity dealer. I have bought these this summer. They are available on Jack`s site as well.

AC710
Unfortuntely, Whitefish MT is not exactly a Simplicity paradise. The nearest dealers are in Sandpoint and Coeur D'Alene ID, over 100 miles from here. I may have to establish a relationship with one of them. We go that direction once in a while and/or they would probably send parts. I did get the prices from Jack's website. I'll let you know about the results from Kaman. My guess is - they will be able to get the bearings and seals, but they will cost more than simplicity's plus the shipping from wherever they find them. Stay tuned...

AC710
UPDATE: The Kaman folks were very helpful, however they could not get the bearing. He had a listing with both the MFR number and the simplicity cross reference. His source says they are obsolete and no longer available. He also said these are a very unusual type. Nearly all bearings are metric, even ones this age, however this one has a metric outer diameter and a 7/8-inch inner diameter. He says less than 1% of bearings were built this way. Evidently Simplicity has maintained a source for them somewhere. Jacks - here I come.