Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Prestige Electric PTO Trouble Shooting Questions

leeave96

My Dad's Prestige's is having PTO problems. When you flick the switch to engage the mower, the engine dies. My brother says the electric pto is bad, I'm thinking somewhere there is a kill switch that is bad. Anyone had any electric pto troubles with their Prestige tractors (or any other model with similar electric pto) and/or any insight on how to troubleshoot this? BTW, there is no binding from the deck and the pto belt sheave rotates freely when the pto is not actuated. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Bill

Check all the wires going to9 the PTO in and around the framework. My Wifes ConQuest had some wires that were pinched/bared and was causing a short when the PTO was engaged.

Unplug the clutch, turn it on, if the engine dies it's electrical (short, switch, etc.). If not, plug it back in, and remove the belts. If the engine dies it's the clutch. If not it's the PTO or the deck.