Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can't wait...

Nuzzy

Just ordered rear ags and front tri ribs along with new front 4 on 4 bolt pattern rims, hubs, and trailer spindles for my heavy duty front end conversion on my AC 900! :D:D:D I have stuff coming for the thrust washer mod as well. We have a baby due in November so I'm trying to get all my before winter tasks done early! The steering setup is certainly in need of some love, and with things not getting any easier with a plow or blower hanging off the front, I decided to go with the thrust washer mod as well as 4" wide tri ribs. Since I can't leave anything well enough alone, I decided I'd upgrade the front spindles and run 4 bolt rims while I'm at it :p Now, to head out to the garage and fill my home fabbed suitcase weights with concrete... I love tractor projects!! 8D

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
You gotta post pics! I still have the thrust washers to do myself!:D
Oh absolutely! I've been hemming and hawing about it for a while; should I spend the money, or just tough it out... You know the drill. But finally thought, screw it! I sold my jeep to buy a boat, which turned into buy a more practical vehicle, which turned into pay off bills :( At least now I'll get a little enjoyment out of the money :D Besides, I was going to need new front spindles anyways since mine were worn and bent, causing tire slop and rub. Now I get to play with the welder, and that's ALWAYS fun 8D

I think you will be happy with the thrust washer bearing mod... did mine in the spring and there is hardly any resistance when steering now... really a nice upgrade!!

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
What was the price of the rims, and bearings?
eTrailer: $16 a piece for rims (8" x 3-3/4" Rim - 4 on 4 - White Powder Coat) $26 a piece for hubs (Trailer Hub Assembly - 2,000 lbs Axles - 4 on 4 - L44643 Bearings) $9 a piece for spindles (Spindle 1.25" RD x 4" STUB) Shipping free on orders over $150 so I picked up some other stuff as well. I'm making some log arches to sell locally and get all my tires/hub assemblies/couplers through eTrailer For the tires, I found the best prices at some place called GCT: 23x8.50-12 6P Deestone Super Lugs D405 (2 tires) @ $88.50 = $88.50 4.00-8 4P Deestone F-2 Tri Rib D401 (2 tires) @ $39.24 = $39.24 With shipping at $32 and change, I was out the door for $160 for new rubber on all 4 corners. Sure it's "just" Deestone brand, but they should work fine for my purposes. I looked into the 6.5 wide tri ribs through Miller Tire and staying with my current rims, but at $70 a tire it wasn't worth it to me; $140 for 6.5 tri ribs and stock rim/spindles versus $156ish for 4.0 tri ribs, 4 bolt rims, and 1000lb per side capacity hubs and spindles... I chose the latter :D Besides, with my bent stock spindles, I would've had to replace them anyways.

quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
I think you will be happy with the thrust washer bearing mod... did mine in the spring and there is hardly any resistance when steering now... really a nice upgrade!!
If it works like everyone says, I think my wife will be happiest of all! We work slightly different schedules and, given our plentiful occurrences of lake effect snow, the situation may arise where she needs to do a mid day snow clearing before heading to work. I'd hate for her to have to muscle the tractor around with the blower on front as it's sits, considering it's quite a workout for me!

quote:
Originally posted by jmhusby
Have a question- As we have a 918 Allis that could stand improved steering, what is the thrust washer modification and how does it work? Thanks.?
http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10571