Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplewrench

3416 Hybred?

simplewrench
I bought a 3416 a couple months ago it is a 1971 model year according to the engine. But the tag on the frame in front of the seat says Allis Chalmers. I assume someone must have replaced the frame for some reason. Or am I wrong did they make them that way in 71? Any thoughts from you all would be appreciated. Thanks Tom.

cwm1276
How do you know it is 3416? The only label is on the hood. The hood could have been changed. Of course the frame as well could have been changed, just would be easier to change the hood. :D

simplewrench
That is true I suppose but the engine is a Briggs not a Kohler and the seat pan and dash tower both say Simplicity so it's all in how you look at it I suppose. But thanks for your input. Tom

larry8200
To the best of my (fractured) knowledge the 3400 series were made in 72-74 and were only sold under the Simplicity name, and the AC 700 series was the first to use Kohler in 75. A re-powered, re-hooded, AC 700 is my guess, the manufacturers number on the tag should tell

simplewrench
I'll have to check the numbers tomorrow. One other unusual item on this tractor that I haven't seen on a Simplicity. It has a screw on hydraulic filter. And yes I mistakenly said it was a 71 when it is a 72. Thanks for the correction Larry.

UCD
1690214 Is an Allis Chalmers 712H MFG dates 1978/79 which would have a Sundstrand hydrostatic with a screw on filter The tractor has had the hood replaced with a Simplicity 3416 hood.

simplewrench
Well that explains some things thank you very much. An update thought I was mowing with the durn thing and everything was going pretty well had to stop and replace the gasket on the crankcase breath but no big deal. going along nicely until it started to bog down a little so I headed for the garage and then something let loose and it died now I have no compression. Oh well I bought 2 3416s for $350 and both had electric lift and wheel weights. So even if it is catastrophic I will be able to get my money out of parting it out and I still have the other one. Thanks again to all. Tom.

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
A re-powered, re-hooded, AC 700 is my guess, the manufacturers number on the tag should tell
Hey, I was right!

simplewrench
Well I took the crankcase breather off to see if a valve was stuck (easiest access)and found some shrapnel so since I was planning on selling this tractor I have begun to part it out. So if you need a Sunstrand hydro from a 712 I can help you out.