Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What happens when you apply heat to a rim-------

LesH

I just viewed this video and was thinking about a few times that I had applied heat to remove a stuck lugnut............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA&feature=player_embedded

Yep, scary stuff! There was also something going around about breathing brake fluid when it was heated how it can actually damage the lungs. A lot of stuff can kill you that you never thought twice about... I know I must have someone with wings looking over me!:D

If you need to heat a stuck lug nut, all you have to do is let the pressure out of the tire and remove the shrader valve till everything has cooled back down, then put the valve back in and re-inflate the tires. A heated area on a wheel should be cooled quickly with a water hose before the heat has time to produce a high pressure inside the tire. There are many things that we work with that can hurt, injure, or kill someone. People need to use common sense in all these situations. The most dangerous thing that I see people do is use Fix-a-flat. It is extremely flammable and only takes a small spark to blow the tire apart like the one in the video. Fix-a-flat should "only" be used on an automobile tire when it is absolutely necessary to get to get home or to a garage. At a garage, be sure that you let them know you used Fix-a-flat. If you need something in a tractor tire, use Slime or some other type of non-aerosol liquid or powder sealant, not Fix-a-flat.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
If you need to heat a stuck lug nut, all you have to do is let the pressure out of the tire and remove the shrader valve till everything has cooled back down, then put the valve back in and re-inflate the tires.
In the video, they state that even with the valve core removed, the temperature and pressure rise is so rapid that the small hole in the valve stem is insufficient to vent the pressure and a tire explosion could still occur. Even if you broke the tire bead from the wheel, if the temperature and pressure rise is rapid enough, the tire bead could reseat itself and a tire explosion could occur.