Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48 in. deck on a 10HP tractor?

THEPATRIOT

I ran my 716H which only has a 10 Hp on it for three years with a 48 inch mower. No problems with my lawn. You may have a problem if the grass gets too high or is overly thick. You just need to go slower with the smaller engine. I am now using another tractor with a 13 Hp engine and see very little difference. I have a small lawn and keep it fairly short.

I've found them to be very underpowered at best. Usually they are 30 to 40 years old and lapped out with less than normal compression from being overworked all those years. Then if you're adding in a hydro which it has to power it really cuts down on the horsepower. I'd check the engine to see what compression it has and make sure the tires aired up good. I doubt they were ever sold by Simplicity with a 48" deck as the 42" gave it enough of a workout.

Now that I've thought about it I don't think you can effectively check the compression on a Kohler because of the compression release. What I would do is think about how good it runs at it's best time with a complete tuneup and if it uses any oil at all. My feeling is it's just not worth the effort but it's not that difficult to hook the deck up and just try it out.

This tractor is a six speed.It had a NEW engine in the "90's and runs like new.I have 2 clean 48 in. decks,that's why i was wondering if it would work.Prob. not worth it.

It will work fine. It did for me and will also work for you. People are always more willing to say something will not work just because the factory didn't do it. Well since I am an engineer, just like the guys in the factory who designed these tractors, I go with what I think will work. Yes, I am currently installing a 25 Hp engine in a 7116H chassis. Do I need that kind of horsepower, "no way". I am just doing it because I got the engine for $150 and wanted to try it out. I have not run into anything yet that half that Hp would not do satisfactorily. When I first started garden tractor pulling I was using a 10 Hp engine. Many guys who had the 16 Hp engines went home with their head down after being beaten by 10 Hp. Unless you are planning to mow weed fields only once or twice a year, the 10 Hp will probably work fine. On a well kept lawn I know it will work.

I bought a used B-210 many years before this club was organized. It came with a 48" deck, and is powered by the mighty 10hp Briggs engine.:) I did not know it had the wrong deck until I went to Sandy Lake Imp. for parts. It mowed well in 2nd gear, but did need to be geared down with the vari-drive in heavy wet grass. The old B-210, with it's original engine, is still mowing, but is now semi-retired with a 42" deck.

I just can't see how anyone can call these tractors "very underpowered". We had one of the first B-1s to hit the street with a mere 7-1/4hp and mowed with it commercially for 6 long seasons. Now, we were less than 100ft above sea level but that tractor mowed 90% of the time in 3rd gear at 3/4 throttle. Likewise we used a late B10 commercially for a number of years putting thousands of hours on these systems and they proved to be more than powerful enough for the task. A 14% increase in mower width is not likely to over task a 10hp that can easily run in third gear with a 42" mower. Now I have never had an occasion to blow snow but I understand that is where these single cylinder power plants really get the workout.

Every 10hp Kohler & 48" deck combo I ever picked up had a wore out engine. Like Rod suggested, if you take it easy and keep the grass mowed regularly so it doesnt get too tall and thick it will work fine. But if you mow like 90% of people who buy a rider to mow with and wait too long and push the engine, you too will have a worn out engine.

No hydro and not letting the grass get away from you, you'll be okay. If it gets tall thou you'll have problems.....I ran a 48 on a 7012H and it was to much alot of the time, but I have thick grass.

I have a B-210 with a 48" mower deck and a very well worn Briggs 10 HP. It will keep up with my 3212H fairly well even in tough conditions, the hydrostat on the 3212 takes a couple of hp. The B210 will not even come close to my HB212 with a 16 HP under the hood:D

For what's it worth, John Deere made and marketed their 112 with a 10hp Tecumseh cast iron in the mid 60s with a 47 inch deck. Later they offered the 10hp Kohler as an option. Never heard anything bad about them being under powered.

I have a 3310V that came with a 42 .switched to a 48 and runs fine. Tractors are like big trucks , Learn to run the right gear with engine rpm in the mid range. Too many try mowing to fast and bog down. All it takes is a little common sense. I have a B-10 ,LL,and a 3310 with B&S 10 Hp and they are pretty strong engines .

I mow my yard with a 10 HP Briggs on a 65 Landlord in 3rd gear, only slowing down in the tight turns, or close to flower beds. It mulches leaves nicely in 2nd gear, sometimes in 3rd. Granted, it is a 42" deck, but I am certain it would have no problem running in 2nd with a 48. Last week, I cut thick Bermuda about 18" tall in 1st, at about half throttle. Put the 48 on it and never look back!

Are the Big Ten and the 65 Land Lord the same tractor? I picked up a BIG TEN from a guy that had a 48" deck on it and it hit on the rear tires. In fact the axle tube was broken wich made me wonder if the deck hitting the tires may have caused the failure.
quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
I mow my yard with a 10 HP Briggs on a 65 Landlord in 3rd gear, only slowing down in the tight turns, or close to flower beds. It mulches leaves nicely in 2nd gear, sometimes in 3rd. Granted, it is a 42" deck, but I am certain it would have no problem running in 2nd with a 48. Last week, I cut thick Bermuda about 18" tall in 1st, at about half throttle. Put the 48 on it and never look back!

I recently bought a gear driven non hydro 8hp B&S sunrunner with a 42" deck. I weigh about 190 and I will say on hilly terain it is slightly underpowered but on flat ground does very well if not trying to cut a hay field. It lays down a beautiful cut, much nicer than the 7100's I own with a 48" deck, but they will power through anything so if I let the grass get too high they are my choice. They are 14 hp and 17 hp toilet motors. Whats funny is the 14 is a single lunger and has more "guts" than the kt17 twin. Go figure. The 14 has been assigned snow thrower duties for the winter so I will know more come January about its umphhh. I am looking for some tri ribs for the front of the 7117 which has been demoted to plow duty mainly because it has hydraulic lift whch is much faster raising and lowering than the 7114 which has electric lift. The turfs on the front of the 7114 with a plow on it were useless on my driveway last winter, well at least thats how I am justifying the tri ribs for my 7117^