Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowering a 7117

colincox1

Hi, I bought a cheap, (I hope you agree it was cheap $400) 7117, from a distant (honest) family member. prevously owned by by an older gentl man, known history, low usage. Anyway it came with a good Simp Snow blower, a cab, a good deck, and a very oil guzzling and somewhat noisy KT17 II, which I expect to go bang very soon. I was thinking of repowering with the kit from small engine warehouse, 18hp BS Vangard, kit, http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=356447-SIMP7100-1 Please has anyone done this or knows anyone etc, comments, suggestions good bad or otherwise. Regards Colin

Hello, I think thats a great price with the impliments you got with it. Is it a hydro with hydraulic lift as well? I have a series 1 kt17 and think about a repower everytime I run that throttle up to 3/4. It doesnt user any oil andis quiet, but have heard of some real lubrication issues with the series 1 kt. I will be watching this thread closely, good luck on your repower.

OBF Thanks for replying, yes Hydro and Hydraulic, I was thinking to repower, but ouch expensive, $1400!!! before it goes bang and then sell engine as a repairable but then I would have a good reliable and lots of future usage. I need to get a disc harrow, and spring cultivator, 2-3 acres of market gardening!! would love to find a bucket loader as well!!! then really really happy anyway, thx again

Here is one that a member done and a Kohler Command with fit as well. With the Command your 7117 frame won`t have to be knotched for the oil filter. I have thinking about trying a Vanguard. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111332&SearchTerms=vanguard

I repowered my AC917 this summer with a MV18 Magnum. This is a vertical shaft from a sears tractor. Picked the whole thing up for $200 because the rear end of the tractor locked up. I sold the remnants for $75. I convered the MV18 to run horizontal by using the oil pick up parts from the old KT17, and the PTO cover plate. Also had to fab the dipstick tube and install it. I have a write up about 75% complete, just can't find time to finish it. The point is, I was patient to find the MV18, and know just enough about the inside of an engine to have done this. I probably spent around $200-$250 total, $125 for the engine, and then new seals, head gaskets, and other miscellaneous.

cheapest repower is a 16hp Single Briggs There have been any number of engines adapted to fit easiest repower would be an Edens repower. Everything is done right !!

Hi, that's very good thought,mmmm, thanks, I suppose you don't know who did it and could I contact them, it would be good to get their experience, I want to avoid as many OSINTOTs (Oh S&*^ I Never Thought Of That) as possible. Big thanks Colin

The guy I bought the tractor from said his dad did it. I'll be honest with you, from what I've seen it looks like he just unbolted one engine and bolted the other one in. Appears to be a straight cross over. I'll look at it closer today and let you know if I see anything that needed to be changed for the conversion. There are a ton of these magnum engines around so you should be able to pick a good one up if your patient.

Chris, MUCH Appreciated, I am just going by the information provided at http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=Simplicity&Model=7117 . I expect that they get a surplus of B&S Vangards. even new, the Commands are cheaper I think but the B&S comes as a KIT I do want to make a VERY reliable final result. If you can take some photos, (If you dont ask then you dont get!!) that could be even more helpful, BIG thnaks in advance. Colin

The Kohler Magnum M18 is almost a direct replacement, with the exception of a minor wiring change for the electronic ignition. Al Eden of Repower Engineering offers kits to remedy this. My conversion with the MV18 is the same, I just had to do some extra engine work. I think the Kohler M20 will drop in as well.

I feel like a heel. By the time I got to that shed it was too dark to see anything. Tomorrow (I hope) I will get it out and take some photo's for you. I hate getting old. Walk across the yard to do something and by the time I get there I have forgotten why I cameC. Anyway I will try again tomorrow.

The magnum twins are identical except for ignition to the KT engines (electronic vs battery/ponts). Even the exhaust is interchangeable. Also most magnums may have an oil filter which is rare on a KT engine. The Kohler command engine is the next twin cylinder that is mostly a drop in, you can use your drive shaft coupling from the KT 17, but you will need to design or buy the exhaust system. The CH18 was used by the factory in your 7117 frame. The B&S Vanguards have a different drive shaft/flywheel height and that requires a "kit".

Colin I guess your just going to have to take our word for it because it doesn't look as though I'm ever going to get these photos taken wah. I got called up to do some consulting work today and didn't get them taken again. And now it looks as though I'm booked until the first of next week. I can tell you though that if I did take pictures and covered the decals on the engine you wouldn't know it from yours. When the guy told me I had to check to see that it really was the 18hp Magnum. The Vanguard engines are a great engine but for ease of the install I would go with the Kohler.

The commands in a 7117 vs a KT Engine require to engine ot mounted slightly higher I have plate under my command and the frame to raise the engine up. Also the Repower kit from Edens has a new drive shaft moving the engine slightly forward. I highly recommond the Al eden kit, but it also the most expensive option sm01. The good news is with it, the instructions are simple and even with great skills, you just need to be able to turn a wrench, anyone can install it.

Chris, a really big thanks to you and all the efforts that you have gone to. I think it will almost definitely you that got me onto the right track and all the other guys have helped to solidify those thoughts. As for the memory, I call it “halfimers” disease, half the time I remember and half the time I don't!!, that's why I need a reliable tractor because I can ride it back to get the thing I forgot. Mike and Darin, and cwm thanks for all your help too, I think the solution is much clearer great to have all your combined advice Colin

• 1 month later...
Well I did it as I said I would I have documented my repowering of my 7117, please see http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=114206