Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tragu

Electric pto

Tragu
The other day I was mowing and I decided to change the height of the cut and went to change it and there was a loud almost backfire and what I think was a spark from the pto. I dont know if it was related to my changing the height of the mower without turning off the pto I try not to do this but it happened. I dont think that it caused any damage but was wondering if it happened as a safety feature or does it hit something or could it have changed the load on the engine causing a backfire. It is a 99 Regent. Any help would be appreciated as I have the desire to try it again and see where it is coming from.I also want to know if it is safe to raise and lower the deck with the pto on. Thank you Tragu

BradW
Okay, this has happend to me, did you apply the parking brake before you got off? If so, sometimes, the parking brake will release itself causing the "seat safety switch" to actuate while it has a hot muffler causing it to afterfire, please tell me more of what you did to adjust and things of the such, I have a regent and have experienced what you have happend, good luck,-BradW

JeffNemes
If you lean off the seat enough it will activate the seat safety switch and cut off the engine and yes this can cause a backfire. I would turn off the PTO before changing the height if you can not reach it without lifting off the seat. Also be sure to have engine at 3/4 to full throttle before engaging PTO - this reduces the shock to the belt.

MarcM
Can anyone answer Tragu's question? Is it OK to change the height of the deck while the blade is engaged? Tragu, I have change the height of my deck several times with the blade engaged and have not experienced this backfire on my 2001 Regent. Your 99 deck has the shorter lever, do you have to lean over the seat to move the lever? Separate question: Are you using the mulching kit on your deck? If you are have you had problems with grass buildup under the black baffle? I have had a lot of buildup even though I always cut when the grass is dry and I only cut a little at a time. The last two time mulching I have gone over the lawn 2 and 3 times lowering the deck one notch each time. Curious to know how you are making out. Marc

Tragu
Thank you for the info everyone I must have leaned or something and came off the seat. Marc as far as your question I have mowed when the grass has been high and wet I only mow once I never go over it twice I took off about 1 and 1/2 inches last week after alot of rain and it mowed perfect leaving no trace of grass. I do however clean my deck each time I mow and it is wet and it does collect but that is to be expected but it dosent effect the quality of mow at all. Thanx Doug