Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OrangeMetalGuy

Maximizing engine life

OrangeMetalGuy
I have two Kohlers, a 16hp K341 and a 12hp K301. I keep the engine oil changed very frequently (30wt in summer and 10w-30 in winter). Also I keep the air filters clean, and make sure the cooling fins and air intake are free and open. Last, I make sure to run the engine at idle after working it, for a few minutes to let it cool before shutting them down. Anything else I should be doing to keep these guys going for a long time into the future? Does it make sense to take an engine and have it rebuilt by a good rebuilder while it's still running good? (meaning do the rebuilding before there's a hole in the side from a rod).

dentwizz
I agree. Especially if the engine involves aluminum. It is better to replace life-limited parts before failure(such as a connecting rod) but to do overhauls based on engine hours should be left for the most part to aircraft:D External maintenance and an occasional cleaning should be fine unless it acts up or smokes. Occasionally it is good to check the oil for metalic particles, such that would be indicating a bearing, rod, or other failure. Doesn't need to be often, just once in a while.

Al
Hi, With your maintenance program, it will go a long time. I have seen engines treated like this go over a couple of thousand hours. When you don't have a filter, changing the oil gets all of the abrasives out. Al Eden

powerking_one
I would recommend putting magnetic drain plugs in your engines (have them in all of mine with splash lubrication). They definately have sludgy/particle material stuck to them when I change the oil. Tom (PK)

RayS
Ebay or google. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130415970815&hlp=false&rvr_id=151847638137&crlp=1_263602_304652&UA=WVI8&GUID=6bfa756b1290a02674c6f5e6fffee1ff&itemid=130415970815&ff4=263602_304652 http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,18168,27006,27015&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=+magnetic+drain+plug+9778&cp=25&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=+magnetic+drain+plug+9778&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=6248f386b3c06fd8