Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Very expensive shift shaft seal

donmoore1904
I am really beside myself. I just ruined a second shift shaft seal. What happened is I got my trans back together, and it was so clean I realized my rear shift shaft seal (at the top of the transmission) leaks. So, I bought one. Went to put it in, and it got on an angle and then wouldn't straighten. Back to dealer bought one for another $9. Took emory, and went around the area that got hung up. Installed second seal and tried to go ever so slowly. Got halfway in, and the previous problem area went in, but it was stubborn in a different spot. I kept tapping slightly, which seems to have had another bad result. By the time I got it in, I have about a 3/16" long spot where I can see the outer seal is not inside the housing, flattened against the outside ever so slightly but visible. It must have gotten hung. The material is so fragile, it flattens out very easily. I think the root cause is I nicked the housing ever so slightly in this other spot during removal. With the shaft in place it is pretty hard to see in there. But it would have paid off to get a flashlight and maybe glasses (!). Back to the dealer [:O Anyone else have trouble inserting this small, fragile seal? This is a nasty spot, and the housing is not perpendicular to the shaft. What a pain.

steve-wis
Hi Don, Not sure of your application, but it is always better to use something round that is just a bit smaller than the seal to install them. Usually a socket works if there is no shaft in the way. Also, make sure there is no damage to the bore that the seal is going into. If you have room, sometimes a pc. of pipe will slide over the shaft if you have the right size. Lastly, a good bearing store will have a seal for you, probably cheaper. Alot of suppliers online too. Again, not sure of your application, but if you have the shaft diameter, and the outside diameter of your seal, you should be able to find a seal for it. I have had times when I had to drive in a seal using a punch. When I have to do it that way, I have a pc. of aluminum for a punch, and a pc. of delrin plastic about 3/8 inch dia. for another one. Lots and lots of very light taps all around, if the bore is clean this will usually do it. Oil the seal on the outside so it slips in a bit easier too. Good luck! Steve

OrangeMetalGuy
Can you use some PVC pipe over the shaft? I use PVC fittings to install axle shaft seals and they work great. You want to have pressure equal all around it as you drive it in.