Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnMBerst

So close

JohnMBerst
Well finally got the 6216 repaired, cleaned, tires, and some repaint. Since this is to be my new winter snow blower, mounted the 42" deck, and went at it this morning. Thought would be a good work for the motor, see how it runs, and better understand the vari transmission before the snow flies. Good news if engine seemed strong, vari worked high to low. but......... the transmission pulley broke off after 40 minutes of grass cutting. Tractor just stopped, and I thought a belt broke, looked under and found the pulley between the wheels. Is this a weak spot on these tractors? So have to see how much repair is going to be, and were in the budget it fits. Was a clean break, and looked new. Can you put to much tension on the rear belt to cause this. Replaced the idler/spring mount and was a real pain to get the spring back on. Thanks.

MowerMechanic
I run one of these in our local tractor pull all weighted down and even have the trans axle welded posi :O. You can see the amount of stress put on the pulleys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDFFtmFY0o and i have never had a pulley issue other than the vari-drive pulleys makeing a bit of noise. but is has done that since i bought it

MowerMechanic
WOW!!! thats the main shaft pulley. I think you are ganna need a donor trans axleB). But that looks like alot of rust. Was this used to move snow somewhere that roads are slated?

JohnMBerst
It's not rust but dirt on the pulley (photos don't look the best). Local dealer noted perhaps a bearing went south, and caused the groove. He does have the replacement shaft in stock, and it is full size, like 1/2" diameter. The fractured part was closer to 3/8" Good news (?) is glad this broke before putting the blower on, snow cab, and the neighbors drive way 1/4 mile from home, at 20* out. Got to look for the silver lining and pay for parts. Since I have very little into the tractor, I think I'm still ahead. This stuff is a habit.

JohnMBerst
Well due to time, mostly, took it to the local dealer for repair. They had all of the parts, and replaced seals as well. Looks like the PO left the idler pulley bracket broken, which rubbed the shaft down from 1/2 to 3/8, and is why it broke. I did replace the bracket a few weeks ago, saw the shaft, but never connected the two, until the break. So it will be back home, to mow on Thursday. Mechanic noted that the gears look very good, 30+ years old, so hope this is the last of problems, and we blow snow like a banshee. Still some painting to finish next spring, but hope to post some photos over the weekend.