Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jackpot21n

0w-30 Synthetic?

jackpot21n
I dont want to start an "oil war" again, but would it be safe to use 0w-30 synthetic oil all year round? I should really say in the summer? If it was used in summer what would the adverse affects be on the engine? The only reason I can think of that would say "no", to using it in the summer, is that it would probably blow smoke like crazy untill the engine warmed up.

toomanytractors
Amsoil manufactures and markets a 30W/10W30 small engine formula that covers the specs for both grades 30and 10/30 and is for all weather applications. Less oil consumption, faster cold weather starts, better overall protection and performance.

If it's a synthetic oil (so you don't have to worry about shear-down), you'll be fine. A better choice would be a synthetic 5w-40------especially a diesel rated oil that is also rated SM for spark engines like the Mobil 1 diesel oil is.

xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by toomanytractors
Amsoil manufactures and markets a 30W/10W30 small engine formula that covers the specs for both grades 30and 10/30 and is for all weather applications. Less oil consumption, faster cold weather starts, better overall protection and performance.
As far as I know Amsoil is the only synthetic made specifically for small air cooled engines. It is the only lubricant we use on our machines and customers machines. The engines run smoother and quieter. Other synthetics make a one size fits all oil but the temperatures and operating conditions of an air cooled engine are quite different from the normal car engine so in my opinion it is best available on the market.

quote:
Originally posted by xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by toomanytractors
As far as I know Amsoil is the only synthetic made specifically for small air cooled engines. It is the only lubricant we use on our machines and customers machines. The engines run smoother and quieter. Other synthetics make a one size fits all oil but the temperatures and operating conditions of an air cooled engine are quite different from the normal car engine so in my opinion it is best available on the market.
And you think the Amsoil oil is different and not just the bottle and label???