Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

Does Simplicity have a Quality Control Problem?

AGCO918
ADD ME TO THE LIST OF COMPAINING ON THE PAINT PEELING OFF. MY AGCO918 NEVER HAS BEEN TOUCHED BY WATER AND IT GETS BLOWED OFF BY AIR AFTER EACH USE AND THE PAINT PEELS OFF OF IT.I BOUGHT A CAN OF SIMPLICITY CHARCOAL GRAY AND TOUCH IT UP IN THE SPRING AND IN THE FALL.THIS BULL TO SPEND THE MONEY WE DO AND THEY (SIMPLICITY) NOT CARE ABOUT THE PAINT ON OUR BELOVED TRACTORS.I HAVE HAD ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT DUTCH AND SAM HAVE HAD.SIMPLICITY TOLD ME THEY HAVE NOT HAD PROBLES WITH THESE TRACTORS AND THAT IS BULL AGAIN.I KNOW MORE ABOUT TRACTORS IN MY SLEEP THAN THEY DO BEING AWAKE.I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SAM WITH THE HYDRALIC HOSES BEING LOSE.DIDNT HAVE AGCO918 A WEEK AND HAD TO TAKE THE STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBILY LOSE FROM THE FRAME TO GET ON GARAGE FLOOR AND GET ON MY BACK AND LAY ON FLO AND GET UP IN THERE WITH 2 WRENCHES TO TIGHTEN IT UP.IT WAS HAND TIGHTEN AND THAT IS ABOUT IT.FOR THESE PEOPLE TO TELL ME THAT SALES WEENT TO GOOD TO STOP PRODUCTION ON A 40 YR OLD TRACTOR REALLY MAKES ME VERY MAD PUTTING IT NICEILY.I HEARD FROM A CLUB MEMBER OVER THE WEEKEND THAT HIS LOCAL DEALER WHO ISNT TO FAR FROM ME 20 MILES TO BE EXACT TOLD HIM THAT THE REASON THE SOVERIGN /AGCO918/MASSY 2818/ PRODUCTION WAS STOPPED WAS BECAUSE THE TOOLING WAS WORN OUT AND WAS ALSO TOL BY THIS CLUB MEMBER THAT A NEW TRACTOR REPLACEMENT IS IN THE WORKS .WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM A SIMPLICITY DEALER ON THE TROUTH TO THIS RUMOR.ONE MORE THING.ALL OF US NEED TO WRITE SIMPLICITY A LETTER AND TELL THEM HOW WE FEEL.MY TRACTOR IS WIPED OFF EVERY TIE I GET DONE MOWING AND THE PAINT ON THE REAREND AND THE WHOLE FRAME SHOULD BE REPainted AT SIMPLICITYS EXPENSE. BOTTOM LINE .I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE AGCO918 TO A BODY SHOP AND HAVE THE TRACTOR REPAINTED AND THEN SEND SIMPLICITY THE BILL. agco918 chad e shafer

jlasater
About a month ago a message was posted regarding paint flaking off Sovereign frames (see link below). At that time I gave sort of a “wise-guy” response. Since then I noticed many things on my ’96 Sovereign that cause me concern. Paint is peeling off my frame, and pulleys, and other mechanical components. Every time I use compressed air to blow the tractor down, the paint comes off in sheets. As was stated in the original post, paint peeling off the frame may be due to improper etching or modern paint formulas. That’s one thing. But how about the hood on my Sovereign developing rust inside around the grill section due to LACK of paint..? When the hood was painted at the factory, that section was just “misted.” I have also corrected MANY mechanical problems and mis-adjustments since I bought this tractor. Although I am the second owner, it was hardly used, and was always serviced by the dealer. Today I investigated a lack of pulling power, and discovered the hydro belt had rolled over and self-destructed because the pulleys were not aligned. The pulley on the hydro pump was not positioned properly on the shaft, but it was tight, and had never been disturbed since it came from the factory. I guess I'll have to go over this machine from front to back. A buyer shouldn't have to do that. And what about internal components..?[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=3521&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=3521&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

SmilinSam
Could be a Friday unit like mine, HA! I have the same paint peeling problem on my MF 2818. I also had loose Power steering hoses from the factory, and so on. If you think QC control at the factory may be lacking go read my next post.

dmcluckie
I notice in the other thread cited, there was a post about modern safe paint processes. I don't know how car makers do it, they get good paint jobs nowadays. But a lot of lower end stuff does not. In our business we found that any metal stuff meant for outdoor storage and use would generally start rusting in 3 or 4 years. I'm talking truck tool boxes, metal cabinets, etc. I blamed "acid rain" but it probably is inferior paint. Recently I bought some house brand True Value Hardware oil based gloss exterior paint for painting a steel door, and to my mind it was very poor when compared to the paint I got used to 15 and 20 years ago. It was thin and watery, there was no substance to it. They have had to remove lead, mercury, and other additives, so oil based paints are dying. All the engineering is going into latex. One of our franchise suppliers provided us with paint for their sign poles and such. They switched from damn good oil based to damn good latex, so I know good stuff still exists. Sounds like Simplicity had or has a problem with cheap paint. -Don

dmcluckie
Don, Buying the BEST paint won't do any good if it's not applied. There is only "light over-spray" where my hood is rusting.

Kent
I've had both mid-80s Fords and mid-90s Dodges where the paint came off in sheets, sometimes several square inches at a time, right down to the primer.... I'm still not convinced they have it right, with these new water-based paints, but with both brands it took a few (about 5) years for this to become evident. The paint jobs barely outlast the warranties, it seems. This is obviously a different problem than with the missed spots or general lack of coverage.

SimpleMan
This topic is very familiar. I was the one who initiated it the last time around. When I bought my tractor, the paint on the tiller peeled off in sheets from day one. That was repainted at a local autobody shop (on warranty), and it's been fine ever since. As far as the tractor has been concerned, it too is flaking paint...very much as dutch has said. However, when I went to my dealer and complained, all that was offered was a can of touch up paint. I still believe that in order to get a good adhesion...you need a good primer. Yet, whenever the paint peels off it looks as though there is just bare metal under the finish coat of paint. Is there supposed to be a primer layer? I have a suggestion. With all of the members in this club who own these units. What if we would send Simplicity a letter in force, call it a petition. Explain our concern. Maybe, they would believe there is a problem if they hear it from more than one person at a time. One final thing. Would powder coating work on these components? If all else fails, I might consider it. I don't want my tractor rusting away on me. Sure hope something can be done...after all we didn't buy the "department store special", so it sure shouldn't look like it in such a short time. GordU

Mack
Dutch, It all relates to the bottom line regarding cost of manufacturing. Lack of buy-in with employees, pay issues, training, product follow-up, and the list goes on. I think we are a product of the "make and throw-away" world. It's unfortunate but, getting anything done about it is another thing. Basically, the quality of work, just is not what it used to be. As with all other business, parts are probably made by outside vendors from everywhere, then assembled at one place. This does not make for "Pride in Work" attitudes. Marion W. Kerr

MPH
Unfortunately I'm afraid your all to right Marion. Those makin the parts for 25 bucks a week really don't care, damn globable marketin crap...MPH

BradW
Here is the bad news ladies and gentlemen, when I was at Simplicity, the man in charge of plant operations told me everything they do, they have no qaulity control!! They only configure the tools 2 times a year, and that is on the 2 mechanis birthdays, for paint they are doing that now since fall of 2000, but quality isn't what it was, good luck,-BradW

B_WALLY_
My brother has a two year old Landlord, he cleans it whenever he feels like and the tractor looks good, no paint peeling.

dmcluckie
Marc, Your wife is right. Lighten up, you'll live longer. :-) The underside of the deck will receive a lot of abuse. You can't expect to keep it 100% paint. You made a good purchase. A few years ago Deere had big time paint problems. Maybe your Regent will, probably it won't. Fortunately it is a cosmetic thing and can be fixed. -Don

Les
Most of the paint problems are that the paint is not sprayed on thick enough. Usually the problem is with blue or gray paint as the car manufactures speced in 2 mils of paint as opposed to a normal 3 mils At least this is what the body repair guy told me, I just had to have my 1992 Blue Caddillac repainted. The car wash took the paint right off the top of the car! The guy does great work so I believe him. So the moral of this story is that if it can happen to the Caddillac of cars, it can happen to the Caddillac of garden tractors.

MarcM
Gentlemen, All these replies have me disturbed since I just purchased a new Regent tractor four weeks ago. I could have saved $1800 and bought a Craftsmen but I decided to spend the extra bucks on a quality tractor. I plan to keep this tractor for 15 to 20 years so that is the justification I used to spend $2800.00 on a 15 HP 38" tractor. I also felt confident that I was making a wise decision after finding this site and reading all the praise about Simplicity. After reading these postings I hope I did not make a mistake. I have only cut the grass four times so far. The only problem I have noted related to paint is on the underside of the deck after the first use the paint chipped off the weld spot by the brace that goes across the deck discharge opening. It looks like there is no primer under the orange paint. I also noted that were the plastic tabs hold the cup holder onto the fender the paint is chipped. Bare metal is exposed there as well. I have already brought this to the attention of my dealer and he is ordering me some touch up paint from Simplicity. I want to avoid rust forming in these two areas. The one thing I will say is that I have been anal (according to my wife!) about cleaning the underside of the deck after each use. I have had grass buildup problems even after using Mow-Ease, a product that claims to prevent buildup. After scraping off the deck with a plastic putty nife I have cleaned the deck off with a wet rag and Bon Ami. This is a powder cleaner in a can similar to Comet available in most supermarkets. The beauty of this product is that it will not scratch the paint (it can be used on fiberglass tubs) and it does a great job removing the caked on grass sludge. I have cleaned the deck three times with this abraisive and have not had any paint come off under the deck. So maybe they have gotten better with the paint process. I do agree with everyone that the quality of today's paint is lacking. I must be linked to using latex base on metal products. The latex paint obviously does not adhere as well as oil based paints.

MarcM
Don, I think the thing that rubs my wife so much is that she wishes I would be as fanatical keeping things around the house as clean as I keep my tractor!! She just doesn't get it, she's a girl!! Oh well............ you learn to live with it (aka tune them out!). :-) Marc