Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Runaway Briggs 23D---Tamed!

midnightpumpkin
I picked up a very clean and very complete Briggs 23D at a swap meet this summer. I finally got around to trying to start it. The engine starts very easily, but wants to run away when it starts. It looks to me like the link on the end of the throttle shaft is on backwards causing the governor to operate in the oposite manner as it is designed to do. That is the governor is opening the throttle when it should be closing it. Here is a picture of the link on the end of the throttle shaft.

What is a mystery to me is that the carb does not appear to have been tampered with. To illustrate the difference, here is a picture of the link on the end of the throttle shaft on another carb in my spare parts.

This engine was a stand alone engine, here is a picture of the throttle control which is attached to the carb.

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on here? Should I just follow my instinct and flip the throttle shaft over to put the link in what I think should be the proper position? John U

powerking_one
John, The picture of the control plate shown says the carb came off of a 7-11HP aluminum engine (medium-frame mounting style block); not the large C.I. series. The governor arm control direction is counter to that of the cast iron series engines. The 3 screw flange carbs are mostly identical though except for the bell-crank position noted but thusly not interchangable (you will have to swap throttle shafts). What you are witnessing is expected (run-away) behavior. Tom (PK)

midnightpumpkin
Tom, Thanks for your reply. You confirmed what I suspected, that the (link) bell crank was opposite of what I need to have. The notion that the carb is from another style engine is consistant with the fact that the carb does not look like it has been tampered with. Now the question is; can I remove the throtle shaft and rotate it 180 degres? John U

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Tom, Now the question is; can I remove the throtle shaft and rotate it 180 degres?
I think not as the throttle plate will have the wrong closing angle and will stick shut on you. Why not take a flyer on buying the correct shaft and plate?

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
Could always fab an arm and epoxy it onto the current unit until then. At least it would get ya running:D
Dentwizz, I like your idea! In the meantime I am looking for the correct throtle shaft and plate. Anyone have part numbers?? It will probably have to be used parts from e-bay or a swap meet next spring. John U

powerking_one
John, If Jay (cougar) has quoted the P.N.'s above from the parts list of a model 23 carb, then just order them. They appear to be good part numbers and still available from Briggs (checked the Jackssmallengines.com database). Tom (PK)

Bailey
Not having looked for a while ...... if the idle stop is pinned on (as on the slightly newer carbs) can you not punch out the pin, rotate the shaft and reposition the idle stop? If the plate is stopping the rotation in that direction, I think you should be able to remove it, rotate and replace as well.......sm00maybe?

midnightpumpkin
I took Dentwizz's suggestion and fabricated a link in the opposite direction and expoxied it to the existing link. Also bead blasted the outside of the carb since I took the orginal picutures.

Put it back together and now the 23D purrs like a kitten. Nice slow idle put--a--put--a-put. I am going to consider this a permanent solution. Obviously someone put the wrong carburetor on this engine at some point and couldn't figure out why it was running away. It is a stand alone utility engine with a gas tank. Now I need to find a use for it. Thanks to all who responded to my original post. John U