Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

My review of the E3 Spark Plug

Simplicity_728
I installed an E3.10 in my 8hp Briggs I/C. It ran smoother and had a bit more power. When the engine would go under load it would run with a popping sound. Similar to a John Deere twin cylinder. One day it started to miss underload so I pulled the plug and found the one side if the ground electrode was flaking away and was pretty much gone. Over all im not impressed with the quality. I installed a SplitFire SF45F in it and did the same exact thing. Reinstalled a new Champion J19LM and it runs like normal under load. The E3 and SplitFire turned a chalky white color while the Champion is the normal tanish color

dentwizz
Interesting. I have used E3 in a few projects with no issues. In my smokey 23D it is the only kind that can deal with the oil fouling and not foul. Perhaps what you are seeing as chalk is the same thing that burns off the oil -albeit without the oil. It may be running too hot(I think). Is it the unit listed for cross compatibility on their chart?

HubbardRA
If it runs right on the Champion, which is what the factory used, then why change? Sounds like the E3 and Splitfire plugs are about two steps hotter than the Champion. Cross reference only gives the closest plug, not a perfect replacement. From my experience, I have found that the only way to get a plug that works correctly with an engine is to use the one that came in it from the factory. By the way, a CJ8 and a J19LM are not the same plug. I just went through this on my 3 1/2 Hp B/S pushmower. The J19LM would sometimes run good but under load would spit and sputter, then quit. I replaced it with a CJ8 and the engine purrs like a kitten.