Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler kt19

a_sannine

my simplicity 7119 twin kohler today went down the tractor been sitting for close to 3 month , before that ran like new . tried starting it , but couldn't , so i dragged it out and checked spark , which is good , then fuel and every thing looked fine , then i sprayed little bit starting fluid in the lift side and it fired right up , but smoking like he** and even spraying oil all over the place , what the heck happen here thanks guys

i pulled the lift head off and checked the piston and rings , they are in great shape no play no oil coming from rings , as i cranked it while the head was off and i see nothing wrong , then i took the left valve cover off ( that is like breather ) and it was filled with oil , i cleaned the oil and checked the valves they look ok , but the small cover gasket is bad, i cut a new gasket and cleaned all the oil in there and put things back together and fired it up , same problem smokes so bad and oil coming of that valve cover .? what's wrong thanks guys

i think i was mistaken in my first diagnose i pulled the left head outagain and cranked it for a while and i see the oil coming from the rings , it seem i got a bad oil ring that just went down all the sudden and i think what is happening when the engine starts the oil is building up in the head and shoots back to the valves some how now if i had to change the rings , can i just take the baring cover out and disconnect the rod from there or i have to take the whole burrell out thanks

I agree that the rings probably aren't bad. I've never seen an engine just start smoking. You said the valve chamber was full of oil, there is a drain hole at the bottom of this to empty that back into the bottom end, is this hole plugged? From my experience, It is normal for there to be a decent amount of oil in the cylinders of these engines if they have high hours,

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I find it hard to believe that the oil ring could be that bad. I really suspect your crankcase is filled up with gas and oil
so what do u recommend i should do to check the crankcase ? but when i took the head out i found oil seeping from around the piston , not much though. so what do u guys think what cause crankcase to filled up with gas and oil? thanks

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
I agree that the rings probably aren't bad. I've never seen an engine just start smoking. You said the valve chamber was full of oil, there is a drain hole at the bottom of this to empty that back into the bottom end, is this hole plugged? From my experience, It is normal for there to be a decent amount of oil in the cylinders of these engines if they have high hours,
i tried putting a wire thru that hole in the bottom of the valve chamber . but it stopped after half an inch , then i took a long screw driver and tried , and the same thing stopped at the same depth . is that hole should be open all the way down , that engine driving me crazy . a lot of oil coming out of the head gasket too , out of muffler , even though it got a great compression , what should i check thanks

The hole goes right into the cylinder, so depending on the position of the piston, it could be blocking it off. When I've cleaned the heads on my engines which have many hours, they have a fair bit of oil in the cylinders, but no noticeable smoke when starting or running. If your valve chamber is full of oil it's probably leaking through the valves, but i don't think it would burn that much oil. Have you tried running the engine with the air cleaner off? does oil squirt out the breather tube or anything? Your problem sounds different but when i bought my Ultima the guy told me it was spraying oil out everywhere, it was all over the outside of the engine thought, and ended up just being the rear seal wasn't installed properly and came out.

I have had the crankcase fill up with gas when i did not have a shut off valve on fuel line. Just to rule that problem out, drain the oil and replace with new if it is diluted with gas, you are not getting proper lubication to the bearings And install a shut off valve in fuel line and use it. If I am wrong, your cash outlay will be less than a new ring and gaskets

You keep talking about the left side valve box. When sitting on the seat the right side valve box is the breather. Disconnect the breather hose from the air cleaner and run the hose to atmosphere and see what it does. If your breather is bad it could be pumping oil from the crankcase through the breather tube right back into the carb. These boxer twins are VERY fussy about the crankcase breather. I cannot have my breather tube on My KT17 series II engine connected to the air cleaner. It sucks oil right out of the crankcase and into the carb. and smokes. I have replaced the breather parts with no change. I vent it to the air and the engine does not use a drop of oil and no smoke or oil out the breather tube either. My M20 in our pulling tractor Deuce. I put in the Kohler replacement breather with the reed valve (replaced the plastic poppit valve) and it used some oil. I repaired the plastic poppit and put that assembly back in and it uses no oil no smoke.

Guys ur not gonna believe what the problem came out to be actually i am ashamed saying it lol by mistake i put diesel fuel in the tank , and i can't believe the troubles i put my self in to . after struggling for two days i found out the problem . i drained the tanks and filled it with fresh gas and fired right up , smoked the remaining of diesel out and now it is back in good shape like before , what a mess i did do u guys think diesel cause any damage to this poor engine ? it sounds running better now , than before lol thanks for all the help

Hi, The diesel fuel should be good for it. Sometimes we have purged an engine with diesel fuel when hot and let it set for a few hours to try to free sticking valves without pulling the engine apart. (ones that intermittently stick). If you read the contents of most additives, they are petroleum distillates, which diesel is in the same family. We get the engine hot and with it wide open pour diesel in the carb until it almost kills the engine and then shut it off and let it set for a few hours. Be careful that the neighbors don't call the fire department. Al Eden

To quote our Drill Sergeant on the first day of Basic Training: "The only dumb question you may have is the one that you do not ask". We all do that kind of thing on occasion and some times just talking it out helps to get to a solution. Glad to hear your KT is going to be OKdOd plus I also learned a few things from the comments :D(again)!! Greg

all i can say it is really running better than before lol boy , tow days of work though but live and learn lol thanks for all the help i am going to day to buy the same exact tractor that is like new and only needs the deck spindle thanks

i bought that simplicity 7119 . when i spoke to that guy over the phone he said the tractor like new , all it needs deck spindle ,based on that i drove there , to find a tractor that been brush painted many times ,drips runs all over , disgusting . the good news is that the engine, tranny and seat in very good shape.very powerful tractor . so of course i had a better price , photos to fallow