Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Briggs 2 cylinder Model 402707...........

LesH
I have a Briggs vertical shaft 2 cylinder engine model 402707 in a Deutz Allis 616 lawn tractor. After running to cut my lawn the hood gets so hot that i cannot hold my hand onto the hood for more than 15 seconds without feeling like i am being burned.......... I use SAE 30 oil/ all fins and shrouds are clean and installed coorectly/ spark plugs are correct and gapped at the recommended .030 inch/ I removed the heads and cleaned them of a little carbon. I keep the RPM's up during mowing-- not thick grass. Or is the hood heat normal?? Any ideas appreciated!!! Did I miss anything??

Al
Hi, Is the foam V on the top of the engine? It is there to stop the blower from sucking the hot air from the muffler and hot air from the cooling fins. Also a partially sheared flywheel key can cause the timing to be late and the engine to run hot and have low power. Missing foam would be my first guess. Al Eden

Cvans
There should be a foam strip attached to the top of the engine that runs from side to side just in front of the cooling fan. When you close your hood it should seal against the underside of the hood. This keeps the heated engine discharge air from recirculating back into the cooling fan. If this gasket is missing or damaged your hood is going to get very hot. This would be the first thing I would check. I'm going by memory so I may be a little off on it's placement. I see Al just beat me on this reply. The other thing is to look into the blower and make sure nothing blocking the air flow through the blower. Do you have anything setting on or under the hood to restrict the airflow?

LesH
Yes, the seperator is there towards the forward side (top) of the engine. There is no blockages in the shroud. I did not check the flywheel key yet though. I will do that next. Thanks.