Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SteveP

Poor mowing quality

SteveP
I know this is been covered before but I am stumped! I have a Duetz-Allis 616 (Simp 5216) with a 48 inch deck and new blades. When mowing there is a definite strip from the front tires. This becomes more evident a couple a days after mowing. I always mow in the afternoon when the grass (fescue/blue grass mix) is dry and I don't let it get to tall between mowings. It acts as if the deck does not have the vacuum to lift the grass. I've made sure the deck belt is tight and not slipping. I do not have any manuals for this mower. Please help. Thanks Steve

Mack
Steve, This happens especially when you use mower decks that are wider than the tire tracks and when mowing grass a little wet. If I want an absolute nice job, I will drive directly in the last tire track left from last pass. This mows all tire tracks twice. Other than that, make sure that the deck is angled slightly so the blades angle down toward the ground in the front about 1/4 inch lower than at the back of the deck. Keep belts tight, blades sharp and grass build-up from under deck. Grass build-up reduces vacuum under deck. Hope this helps. Marion W. Kerr

dmcluckie
It seems like it should happen more on one side than the other, if all blades rotate the same direction. The reason I say that is that the problem usually occurs where the blade is contacting the laid-forward grass while the blade is moving forward. So, for example, if the left blade's forward sweep is in the tire track, I would expect the right blade's rearward sweep to be in the tire track. The rearward sweep is cutting against the grain of the laid down grass and should pick it up and cut it. I have this problem with a 3 point mower on my compact tractor, because it comes after both front AND rear tires have flattened the grass. Mine is worse in certain types of grass (don't know which) than others. I hope I explained the directional scenario well enough... -Don

dymondclay
Steve, One other thing that may or may not be a problem... When you are mowing, do you run full or close to full throttle? I think that the mower needs to be run at close to full throttle to keep the blade speed up and get a good vacuum under the deck. Could that, and what Marion said about belts, blades, and grass build up, be the source of your problem? two pennies. Clayton

what kind of blades are you using on your mower?