Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 front pto problem!

gregnorth

my pto doesnt seem to have enough pull to engage the clutch. when i hit the switch the plate that is suppose to pull into the magnet moves a little but i have to nudge it over with a stick. once it grabs it fine. has any body ever had this happen? can the magnet get week? i thought maybe it was a low battery so i charged it up but it didn't help. more rpm's didnt help either. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks greg

You may have a corroded switch. This may cause a drop in voltage which would result in a weak magnetic field. You could also have a shorted coil which could reduce the magnetic field also. You can check the voltage at the + side of the coil. The reading in voltage should be the same or within a couple of tenths of a volt. A dramatic drop would indicate a wiring or switch problem. Once you verify that you have good voltage you can check the coil with a good ohm meter. With the coil cool, check the resistance across the coil. If memory serves me I think you should have around 4.5 or so ohms load. Now apply voltage to the coil and leave it for 30 mins to an hr and recheck the ohm load. It should not change more than a couple tenths ohm load. If it does you likely have a partially shorted coil. This is bad on several levels and could cause engine bearing failure so toss it and replace. You can use the tractor to supply voltage to the coil in the last test but you'll need to disconnect the ignition coil so as to not burn up the ignition coil or points.

hey dave, when you say coil do you mean the winding on the pto or the ignition coil? also when you say turn it on for 30 minutes do you mean with the tractor running or just energize the pto switch with the tractor off? need clarification cus i'm not too swift with the electrical stuff. thanks greg

Any reference to the "coil" refers to the pto coil. Where I talked about unplugging the ignition coil was to allow you to use the tractor as the power supply while not running. This test can be done outside the tractor should you decide to remove it from the tractor.

Sounds like the air gap is too wide. Air gap should be 0.015" to 0.020" per the reference below. "http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=97252" If you need more information there are others here who know a lot more about electric clutches than I do.

OK. thanks guys! i'll check it out and see what i can figure out. if i need a new coil can you still get them from simplicity? later, greg.

ok. i disconnected the pto and hooked it up to my ohm meter and it read 4.5 exactly. checked the voltage coming from the switch and had 12 volts. then hooked it back up and it works fine! must have had a bad connection. not sure why but its ok now. thanks guys. later, greg