Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MrSteele

19 HP Kohler

MrSteele
It is not in a Simplicity, but in a Cub Cadet. The third carburetor solenoid is dead as of a couple of hours ago, and still less than 100 hours on the engine. Is there any way to dismember the thing and the lawnmower still start and run? (I started to call it a tractor, but, it ain't, only looks like one). This machine is basically useless, but is my Mother-in-Laws new lawnmower, so I do have to keep it running for her. Any help will be appreciated.

HubbardRA
I disabled one on a B/S Vanguard that I had. There were two holes through the side that let the gas in. I put a drill through the hole and drilled the rod of the solenoid into two pieces. Then I removed the loose piece of the rod. The solenoid could no longer shut off the gas flow after that. I put a manual shutoff valve in the gas line. It worked fine until I traded it off. Last time I saw the guy who got it, he said it was still working fine. If you can find a plug with the same thread as the solenoid, just remove the solenoid and plug the hole.

MrSteele
Thanks. What I fail to understand is why an engine with the fuel tank lower than the carburetor would need an electric shut-off for, anyway. I know the public is supposed to be dumb, but the manufacturers are even dumber??

HubbardRA
The solenoid is primarily to prevent dieseling (run-on) with the newer fixed jet carburetors that are set to run very lean. The solenoid cuts the fuel off directly at the main jet.

Ronald Hribar
I had the carb ,cylinders and crankcase fill up many times on my Magnum 20. I had changed carb with the one of the KT 17 so it did not have the fuel shutoff. I was forced to put a fuel shut off valve in the line.

MikeES
On a Kohler twin that I have...I just removed the solonoid, pulled the plunger pin out and reinstalled the solenoid, did not reconnect the wire. Works great.

HubbardRA
The one on the B/S Vanguard that I had had the plunger inside an outer tube. The seat was also inside the tube. You could not get to it to pull it out. This is why I had to drill through the gas flow hole.

Al
Hi, A while back, I posted a rather complete explanation on the fuel solenoid and its only function, (to prevent afterfire on shut down and the need to shut the engine down at full throttle for the solenoid to function) I tried to search for this post, but have never been successful on searching for posts. Maybe someone can find it. Al Eden