Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs mystery - Solved?

JimDk

While looking through my parts "inventory" for a larger Briggs engine for my hydro LL project, I came to a parts 2012 that I had bought at an auction and covered with a tarp several years ago. I thought it had a 14hp. It had the humps on two cooling fins and the balance gears on the pto side. I took the engine to my shop, pulled the head and the mystery began. The bore measured 3.43" on my trusty Harbor Freight calipers, which is correct for a 12hp engine. Hmmmmm? The bore still had some cross hatching marks, the piston was tight and the valves looked new. Why did someone rebuild this thing then send it to the auction? After some pondering, I took the head to the barn for a comparison check. I have 16 and 12hp parts engines and it was easy to see that the head from the mystery engine was from a 14/16hp. It had a larger combustion chamber. That would have made for a low compression 12hp engine, and probably not much power. Mystery solved? Time will tell. I put my spare 12hp head on, gave it a quick power wash and paint job. I will soon find out if it has enough power to make the hydro work. Here it is all buttoned up and ready to go. The other head is beside it.

Well, I guess I will never know if it had enough power. It won't fit. The balance gear assembly interferes with the grill assembly of the Simp. 101. wahwah I am going to try to resurrect a worn 16hp. $

I put a 12 HP in my 101. I needed to do that as I didn't have correct drive pulley for hyd pump for my 10 HP. You don't have to cut out a lot and when it is assembled, nobody notices it. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/bud119195/Burnett%20show%20001.jpg http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/timflury/100_1354.jpg

Thanks for the info, Bob. I am hoping to get by without cutting the grill frame. I built this project on a later frame, B-210 I think, so I may have other space/distance issues. The 101 body parts did not fit the frame perfectly and I had to drill a couple of new mounting holes. I still have the 101 rolling chassis so I can go back to that if I give up on my grand experiment. I am going to check the crank in a 16hp flat front engine. If the crank is good, I can have it bored and rebuild from there. I can use the 12hp in one of my other tractors.

Gee Bob, you are a sneeky devil!!!}:)}:)}:) I would not have known. Now you are going to have to show us what you did this weekend.