Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine won't run

larryestes

I have a B-212 with a 16 h.p. Briggs with the large 2 piece flo-jet carb. The engine starts fine (cold), but after I engage the mower deck it will only run for 2 or 3 min. before stopping. The engine usually won't restart for several minutes and then only with a choke. After restarting it does the same thing all over again. I have rebuilt and adjusted the carb., I have replaced the carb. with a used one. I have changed the plug and the fuel tank and line. So far, nothing works. It acts like it is running out of fuel, but I can't find evidence of that. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Larry.

Well, let me tell you what a wise old fella told me, and I've found it to be right most all the time. He said "90% of all carb problems are in the ignition".

Blow fuel in the backwards into fuel tank starting from carb end. Sometimes small amount of trash will greatly slow fuel flow. Lung pressure generally does it,meaning one to three pounds of air pressure will do it.

Agreed. You may need a new tank valve/screen. I've had a few crusty screens, one coworker even had a bee plug an inlet like a ball valve! If it runs at all I would doubt ignition. Choke would not stimulate an iffy ignition. Your float level may not be right either. Simply replacing the carb does not specify a fix. Fixing the carb does.

quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
Well, let me tell you what a wise old fella told me, and I've found it to be right most all the time. He said "90% of all carb problems are in the ignition".
My 3416H has the same setup, whenever I chase fuel problems, it almost always turns out the points aren't quite perfect.

I have rebuilt the carb., checked float settings and other adjustments several times, I also swapped out both the fuel tank and the fuel lines all the way to the carb. However unlikely it seems to me, ignition is the only place left that I can think to go.

A spark checker is a handy device to invest in. When it dies, quickly plug it in and you have an ignition answer. X2 on the valves. I've had one that way before.

I'm telling ya, points and a new condenser. I've been through it with bout all the old tractors I've messed with. Rebuilt carbs only to find it's not bad in the first place. Cheap parts and new don't always mean good, remember that....

Follow up on tractor problem. I rechecked the fuel system, it was o.k.; the valve lash was spot on, and there was a good spark under all conditions. I also checked the compression before and during a failure (it read 95 psi both times). Finally I pulled the intake manifold, and resealed both gaskets (on both sides of the metal plate between the manifold and the block), and in a rare flash of inspiration, I replaced the plug with a new one (I had done this once before). I also dumped about a pint of transmission fluid down the intake while the engine was running. I am not sure exactly what did the trick, but the engine seems to be cured. I did about 30 min. of mowing, and it preformed flawlessly. This is about 25 min. more than I got out of it before. So, time will tell. Thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions. Larry