Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Don"t know

JJ MARSHALL

anyone know what make this tractor is? ? all i can read on it is onan on motor. look like a ford rear end and tranmission. with some kind of car power steering.

quote:
Originally posted by JJ MARSHALL
that part of a sear blade or cud cadet blade can"t remember. JJ
this thing has 2 relay and 3 resisters in the wiring system and the battery is hook as pos + ground. JJ

Sure looks heavy duty. All that exposed chain drives and belts and battery cables must be the safety nanny's worst nightmares. I like it!!

it is homemade Don"t know they made that hood. it must have came off another tractor. JJ the transmission and the rear end are car parts

The only time I've seen a positive ground was on a foreign car,from the mid sixties!!And that rear end looks similar to a ford model A rearend?? ( the nest)OO

Actually, the hood looks like a water heater cover, slit, then reshaped and resized for the hood. That machine is homemade, and it looks like the builder did a decent job

• 9 months later...
I believe that this animal is to be a modified "Jim Dandy" with some homemade add ons. Regardless it has a good engine and appears to be one that would have been made in the early 40's. My grandfather had one similar to it for years and never had any trouble with it.

I own a 'Jim Dandy' and that is nowhere close. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=49440&SearchTerms=Jim,Dandy

Resembles a Panzer/Economy genetic offspring:p I think the fenders look like trimmed trailer units. Still a sold looking peice.

Do a search for "Homemade Tractor" on Google and you will find (if its still up) an article from Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated from way back when that gave plans to build what I believe was a tractor about like that. It had the offset drive / gear reduction pretty much like that and even called for the "Banjo" Ford (Worm drive?) rear end. Here is a link to something very close http://www.longwood.edu/staff/riderkb/tractor/index.htm

quote:
Originally posted by RHA
The only time I've seen a positive ground was on a foreign car,from the mid sixties!!
Actually, a lot of old American farm tractors had positive ground Delco (and other brands, too) systems on them. In fact, every old Allis CHalmers I've ever seen has a positive ground electrical system on it. They used that for both 6 and 12 volt systems until the tractors started coming with alternators. Old John Deere's also had positive ground systems on them (the two cylinder models). Can't comment onother brands, but I'll bet they were the same.

Don't know why but the industry standard back to about the mid 60's was negative ground systems for licensed vehicles and positive ground for everything else. With the coming of the alternator, everything was changed, for lost of reasons, to negative ground.

I think pix #1 :D is a 3/4 sized yamaha circa 1970's with a "screwed bridge". At first glance I thought it was a Gibson; but no.

I was wondering how bad the intonation was on that guitar myself Mys. If it isn't a late 60s / early 70 Yamaha, It sure does a good job of seeming to be with that red spruce top. I hit hard times back in '81 or 2 and had to sell my FG-160. Had a neck that felt like half a 2 inch pipe but what a sound ! Can't make it out from the photo JJ, Is that a double-ought ?

I had an FG-180 once upon a time. But the real crime is the several rare birds I had in my hands and let them go; plus the one's I owned and sold and wish I never had - well one like that, was serious strong road guitar, 64 J50. I had too many then - a lespaul, a j50, a j45, stuff had to go, too hard to move around and store. still have j45. got sick of electric. now sometimes it might be nice, hard on the hearing, mostly an ego trip. but i love the 45. it's my baby.