Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

turk

7790 simplicity tractor

turk
Hello.:DI'm new here at simplicity and excited about it. I just bought a 7790 simplicity off ebay and need some info on how the hour meter functions on it.I believe this is a 1984 model.It shows 192 hours and looks pretty good.But I've noticed that the ignition key can be turned off and the engine will continue to run.That got me to thinking.When you turn the ignition off,does that also "kill" the hour meter? If so this tractor could have much more than 192 hours on it.Any you guys have advice on hour to visually tell if the machine might have more than the showing hours.It doesn't appear to be leaking from any point on the engine or tranny.This is my first diesel and I'm not that much in tune with what to look for.Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated.I hope to go over this beast from front bumper to rear wheels.Thanks

3314WV
First of all welcome Turk......Just me thinking out loud but a machine that old with less than 200 hours would be the find of the century.......i have about 5 acres i take care of and i will put almost that many on in a years time.....I remember many of the earlier diesels ( mine was a Massey )had a manual switch to pull which would shut off the fuel. They key alone would not shut it off.....I am not familiar with the old Simplicity diesels though i am sure many on this site are.8D

dentwizz
First time I've heard of that side of the tach time issue. We had one Scag in the landscape biz that had 5k hours and only 3 yrs old because one guy left the key on for a couple weeks sm00