Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blade speed, PTO speed, Engine speed . .

Hogg

The pulley on the old A/C deck I picked up really got me thinking about blade speeds and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any input. I would like to determine the blade tip speed on my 42" mower deck, but I need to know if the Bevel Gear Box is a 1:1 input/output. I have a 7119 that has a ton of power, no question, but I always run at full throttle to get a clean cut. It's simply a waste of gas, sometimes, to run the machine like I do. The old A/C mower deck pulley is considerably smaller in diameter than the pulley on my Simplicity deck. I think I would like to "step it up" a few hundred RPM on the arbors, but I'm not sure what is safe (I'm not talking router bit speeds, here) and what is practical. Anybody ever done any "gearing" with pulleys to change driven speeds on implements? Thanks, Tim

Tim - There are a lot of us "newcomers" who are very interested in this topic. I run Simp Broadmoors with 36" decks, and I also think that a slightly smaller pulley (just a little!) might be helpful. Has anybody out there anybody actually done this? Thanks - Tom