Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Hogg

Blade speed, PTO speed, Engine speed . .

Hogg
The pulley on the old A/C deck I picked up really got me thinking about blade speeds and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any input. I would like to determine the blade tip speed on my 42" mower deck, but I need to know if the Bevel Gear Box is a 1:1 input/output. I have a 7119 that has a ton of power, no question, but I always run at full throttle to get a clean cut. It's simply a waste of gas, sometimes, to run the machine like I do. The old A/C mower deck pulley is considerably smaller in diameter than the pulley on my Simplicity deck. I think I would like to "step it up" a few hundred RPM on the arbors, but I'm not sure what is safe (I'm not talking router bit speeds, here) and what is practical. Anybody ever done any "gearing" with pulleys to change driven speeds on implements? Thanks, Tim

TomSchmit
Tim - There are a lot of us "newcomers" who are very interested in this topic. I run Simp Broadmoors with 36" decks, and I also think that a slightly smaller pulley (just a little!) might be helpful. Has anybody out there anybody actually done this? Thanks - Tom