Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repair to 75th Hood Finally Complete

PhanDad

Some may remember I picked up a 75th Anniversary Tractor late last year with a 1 year old Kohler Command CH-18 installed. Unfortunately, the engine install was a hack job and the hood looked like this:

It's been a long wait, but the hood finally looks like this:

I'm pleased with the patch job. Should be able to finish up soon.

How much exhaust work did you have? My muffler on my command has the tail pipe on the other side of the tractor, making it unable to run the exhaust on the right side.

Great job. Looks like a variation of the original model, only better as I like the side pipe. Is that a wire tie on the side frame? Almost looks like a split in the frame. Thanks for posting.

Bill, Looks great. ^ Been wondering how the project was progressing. What remains to complete the job? Rod, Notice the OEM cutout on top of the frame to clear the starter.

Thanks for the compliments. But I can't take credit for the "artsy" stuff; I don't weld and don't have any spray painting capability except for spray cans. I did the grunt work after my neighbor welded in the patch piece I cut from an old hood - the grinding, puttying, sanding prep work for painting. I couldn't find any matching color spray cans, so I had a local body shop match the color and paint the hood as a "side project" which took forever but it was worth it. Carl, For the exhaust, I used the stock Simplicity CH-18 exhaust system. Al Eden supplied the muffler and other parts for a "stock" CH-18 install. But I did have my neighbor weld a connection for the chrome side pipe on the stock down pipe. Some pics:

John, Good eyes, that is a black tie wrap at the frame oil drain hole. It holds the starter wiring up off the bottom of the frame. The side pipe is stock on the 75th Anniversary Tractor. Roy, Major remaining work is to redo all the hood wiring now that I have the hood back. In the original CH-18 installation, the Kohler muffler was almost touching the front of the hood and the heat melted some of the light wiring/connectors. And the wire that wasn't melted is so brittle the insulation is falling off. Also have to reinstall the grill, emblem, etc.

Brett, Must be an optical illusion, the clutch/brake foot pedal is exactly the same as the pedal on my other Sovereign type tractors.