Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

leveling deck

glennsjr

I was wondering in the owners manual for my AC712 are they showing the rear of the deck lower than the front??? When I went to John Deere school they said it takes like 10 to 20% more power to run a deck that way and all my other mowers say to put the front down 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than rear. Also do you guys run wide open throttle when mowing?? Thanks

3/4 to full throttle when mowing. When grass is wet or taller than 3" at full throttle. Motor runs cooler since it moves more air through fan (flywheel). Operators manual states the blade height in front needs to be 1/8" to 1/4" higher than rear. Here is a operators manual. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8arK2rE3CSl5kbp796Dq

That is the correct way to set up deck probably another reason Simplicities cut so well With Hydro you should be running wide open And suspect mower deck speed was designed that way too

Leading edge low produces higher edges on a 3 blade deck, which can produce uneven blending from succesive passes. It also cuts the grass once at height which loads the blades a little less(probably what they were getting at). Flip side is the leading edge high. Better blending of edges, and since the blade initially contacts higher then lower on the grass it mulches more thoroughly. Better appearance with less piles, slightly higher engine load. Results speak for themselves.