Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D valve guide

dentwizz

I have decided to appease the EPA:D and redo the valve guides on my 64 LL (it smokes like a fogger). The rings are good and the valves/seats are acceptible but the guides when the springs are removed are like "thunk-thunk" side to side from wear. The prob is that the guides I ordered to fit the 5/16" shafts don't seem fit the block. It almost looks like there are fatter iron inserts but I don't want to force on them until I know they are supposed to move. So, questions are: Is the guide replaceable? What part number is available if so? Would I be better off paying the valve shop to bore the existing guide slots for the newer bushings? Thanks:D

According to the "bible", P/N 210101 intake, and 210087 exhaust were the replacement guides for model 23, but no mention of 23D. You also need some reaming tools.

I tried looking to the usual sources for said and can't seem to turn up a response for those numbers. I guess what I need to know more is if there is in fact a thin guide 'tube' in there such as what the replacement would be that is simply just worn down far enough to not see. The slop is pretty substantial without much if any valve stem wear. What is this holy book you refer to?

Best bet is to take it to a machine shop they should have the specs and give you the proper clearance. Unless you know what your doing and have the proper reamers,you can get end up with a guide that's to tight or to loose. Even with the proper guides they will need to be reamed.

Yeah I guess that's inevitable. I was just hoping to skip the 60 bucks and not have to take it all down to the bare block. I had some people say they just pop in and some that say lots of tools. Seems the Tool types may just win on this one. I guess the main thing with the guide obtainability is that the machine shop in town does not order parts, so I have to do the hunting.

I am coming up with p/n 230655,around 7 bucks, for the guide bushings. Briggs cautions you to not ream all the way through as the new guide is not full length. The reamer is P/N 19183 and the reamer guide tool is P/N 19192. As suggested,finding a machinist is probably more cost effective than buying those tools. Gary

Cool. That number produces a result, unfortunately none of the sources have a pic to compare to the prior purchased guides to see if I have a similar unit.