Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what motor

snohiker

ok here we go again bought a parts tractor because they said the motor came out of a 3212 witch is what i wanted it for its all in waiting on a carb kit for it but out of curiosity the head has two or three fins that sit higher on it like a hump and no oil fill just drain any ideas

The 14, 15 and 16hp had the hump on the cooling fins on cylinder head. On the side of the shroud or flywheel cover the model number will be stamped into on the same side as the carb.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
The 14, 15 and 16hp had the hump on the cooling fins on cylinder head. On the side of the shroud or flywheel cover the model number will be stamped into on the same side as the carb.
If the shroud hasn't been swapped with one from another engine! John U

quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
If the shroud hasn't been swapped with one from another engine! John U
exactly thats already hapen to me on the first motor in the 3212 it turned out to be a 23somthing 9hp

Here's what a Briggs 300421 looks like:

The above engine was in a HB-112 tractor, the Allis equivalent of the Simplicity 3212. In the second pic, the location of engine info is circled in red. I have a feeling you don't have the original 3212 engine.

Also note the presence of the balance gear cover in the third picture. This will be absent on a 10hp, and behind the flywheel on a 16hp.

quote:
Originally posted by snohiker
ok as long as the fan shroud hasn't been changed heres the numbers 300421-6127-01-691010
6127 should read 0127 and then that would be the correct engine and that is what I installed in my 101.

If it has the bump fin head either the head or tim has been swapped, if it has the front counterbalance, then it would be the 12 with a different head, if no front counterbalance then the tin would have been swapped and it could be a 13,14,15 or 16 hp variant. Bore size would determine roughly what engine it would be.

Robert; Only the 15 & 16 hp engines used the single counter-balancer gear cover style on the flywheel end (325xxx, 326xxx series). The 300421 and 320421 series engines used 2 counter-balancers. That being said, the 12, 13, & 14 hp engines had the dual counter-balancer setup. Tom (PK)

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand which HP engines had which which of counter balancers, but here's a pic of the shaft end of my 12HP Briggs in my Homelite T-12:

The pic was taken to show someone an electric clutch; but you can see it has a flat cover vs the engine from the HB-112. I believe it's a 301430 engine.

Bill; That picture tells me, it is either a 10Hp (243400 series), or 15/16HP (325xxx or 3256xxx series) engine; not a 12HP 300430. The only way to be sure is to measure the bore; all the 10-16HP engines had the same 3-1/4" stroke. Tom