Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Storing Outside

joelk

My parts tractors 3212H turned out to be better than my old 3112H and now I want to keep both, but only have a place for one inside. My question is what is the best method for storing outside and not ruining the tractor with mice, rust, etc. Let me know your experience.

Do not use a black or dark tarp. They produce condensation worse than a constant mist. The main thing to cover is the gas cap where it protrudes through the hood. The vent hole tends to accumulate water. Again, I don't recommend tightly sealing it for the same reason. If you have a gage type gas cap, buy a cheap non gage cap(like push mowers have) and use it for storage. They are designed to vent but not allow water in.

For the winter, for boats and tractors I've put up a 2x6 triangular frame at the front and back (mounted on the back boat deck or with a small "mast" up front) then screw another 2x6 down the length. I then "tent" a light colored tarp over the top and tie down the corners leaving space at the bottom and ends for air to circulate. I get it high enough that most snow slides down. Any shiny metal e.g. hydraulic cylinder rods and other vulnerable spots get sprayed with oil or lithium grease and of course the engine is winterized.

This 7013S was under a deck wrapped in a tarp for 2+ years.... I stored my 3416H outside for a year wrapped in a tarp and it was almost as bad. I think no ventilation may be worse than being out in the open where it can dry out regularly

If you are parking on dirt, a piece of plastic film under the tractor will help keep some moisture from migrating to the tractor and cover. Acid from the soil can help create rust and corrosion.

Tarps will be OK if its parked on concrete and the tarp doesn't go all the way to the ground. I like to put something like a rubber floor mat under the tarp on the edges of the hoods, this keeps the wind from wearing all the paint off when the tarp rubs against it. Keep the tractors waxed too, it does help.

Truck bedliners make an excellent cover with plenty of air circulation. Try to keep it out of direct sunlight as it constantly changes the heat/cool cycle. Be careful on concrete as it holds moisture 24/7 especially if there is a water source fueling it. Basements are he worst.

I have a 12 x 12 area at the end of my shed covered with old steel doors that I park my "junkers" on. If they are "nice junkers" I set a old truck topper over them. Like already stated here, Tarps are just not a good thing as they hold moisture. When I leave my log splitter out by the firewood pile I usually just set a cut down old plastic garbage can over the engine to keep the rain off. I used to use a tarp over it, but the inside3s of the carb and air cleaner get pretty rusty from condensation when using a tarp. Air must circualte....

A farmer I once worked for parked everything under the "big shed". To most people, the "big shed" would be called out in the open, under the sky. Parking anything at all under the big shed is far better than parking it under a tarp or similar covering that holds moisture INSIDE. UNtil I got my new shop, I parked my Landlord under the big shed, as well, with a close fitting can over the gas tank cap to keep water out. I usually had to clean or dry out the points before using it, but, had few other problems

most of my non-runners sit outside uncovered. on the ones that i dont have time to get to yet, i pull the gas tanks and seats and store them in the shop. or i dump oil in the tanks to help prevent rust. there is a few that have been sitting around for years now.