Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas tank half emty or half full

joelk

My 3212H with 12hp briggs started running poorly, with surging and dying off when I gave it hard acceleration. I pulled it in the driveway and tried adjusting the carb to no avail. The gas tank had about 1/4" of gas in the bottom of the tank. I took off the fuel line past the filter and shutoff valve and the gas ran out at a steady stream, looked fine. Anyway, I decided to fill the tank up and immediately it started running fine again (after I re-adjusted the carb). No more hesitation, surgeing, just ran perfect. I don't recall that with my 3112H, but I usually fill it up before I start to mow. Is this normal, or do I have some sort of a fuel flow issue?

Not normal. Run it down again and see if it repeats. If so, shut off the fuel, pull the main jet needle and just let the bowl drain. Replace and re-set. Could be just a little bit of accumulated "stuff" gettin in the way .... While your at it, take a nice bright flashlight and check out the contents of your tank while it's low.