Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
blind_eagle

'64ish Broadmoor

blind_eagle
Anybody repower one of these with something more recent? My father has a crapsman who's tranny is mostly shot. I'll have to measure it up to see how I might be able to bolt in a 17hp B&S. Would there be concerns with having the new engine spinning too fast for the 3sp tranny? What attempts have other's tried? I would think the vertical shaft opens up the options more here...

dentwizz
Speed range would be the same. Most single cyl briggs will fit the mount but you have to make sure shaft length and diameter will fit the pulley assembly to mate up to both the trans belt and deck belt.

TomSchmit
It is easy to replace the engine with any single cylinder Briggs engine. However, making it fit nicely is another question. A 10 or 12 hp L-head engine fits, but requires just a little more room at the rear. This can even be accomplished by elongating the mounting holes in the tractor frame, because just a small amount of room is needed. For OHV engines, there needs to be additional space in front of the engine and you must modify the grill. There is no concern about engine speed. 3000 RPM is the same no matter what engine is spinning it! Tom