Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Glen112

Chrome or Iron Rings in a Model 19?

Glen112
I know that this topic will probably generate as much disagreement as a conventional vs. synthetic oil topic, but here goes. I have been putting off doing a freshening up of my Model 19 that I have in my Simplicity 725. It is an oil burner and it is time to put some rings in it. I have to pull it out of the tractor anyway to replace the coil. While I have it apart, I would like to throw in a new set of rings. I am pretty confident from my observations last time I had the head off that I will start with standard, not oversize, and just put a new set of rings in. I saw little or no scoring and was impressed that there was no ridge. I have done a number of re-builds in the past and have the basic tools (ring compressor, hone, valve spring compressor, etc.). I took care of the valves last time I had it apart. My real question is whether I should go with chrome or iron rings. I have searched the archives and found a mixed-bag of arguments in each direction. I have a basic aversion to not at least breaking the glaze in the cylinder before I install the new rings. I am not sure from the archived posts whether I absolutely should not break the glaze if I go with chrome, or if it is just not necessary to do so. I am leaning toward breaking the glaze and putting in iron rings. Give me your best arguments in both directions. The numbers on the engine are: 19 706035 621822 I believe it falls in the 191400 to 191477 Model/Series range. To the best of my knowledge, I believe my ring choices are: Chrome - PN 298746 Iron - PN 292100 Can someone confirm that I am right with these numbers? Thanks, Glen

glennsjr
I would go with the cast rings with a restoration and chrome rings if I was trying to make it a hot rod. I believe that the cast rings will last longer and you will get less wear on the cylinder walls.The original rings were cast and look at how long they lasted.

briggsetc
I am convinced after having many many of these old cast iron Briggs apart that briggs designed them to wear the rings and not the bore. If the bore looks good [well maintained] it would be rare to find any bore wear or even a ridge. As suggested put the cast ones in, ck gap and go another 20+ years. After a light hone the bore needs to be CLEANED REAL GOOD. Hot soapy water is best. If you can't do that use lots of carb cleaner and white rags untill it comes clean. In either case follow by wipeing the cyl again with fresh oil untill it the rags come clean. Gary

BLT
Recommendation from one of the leading manufacturer's.. http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/ring_set_composition_recommendat.htm