Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
acjustin

Sprayer Question

acjustin
I have an old l&g sprayer that pulls behind a tractor. It has a mounted 2 hp briggs horizontal shaft engine. The problem is when I start the motor up and get on the tractor and go the motor dies. I am on flat level ground and the fuel tank is half full. When not moving it will run fine. I know it has to be simple fix. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

rm
does it run fine when full? or does the problem persist when half tank or less, you may have a fuel issue such as if the carb some of the older engines had carbs built to the fuel tank. the pick up tube may be rotted and your suckin up air instead of fuel.

briggsetc
We would need a lot more info .... carb type ... vacujet = tank mount with one fuel pick up tube with check valve. pulsa jet = Tank mount.2 fuel tubes. Plate on side holds fuel pump diaphram. flojet = float carb, tank is above carb. Engine numbers = usually stamped on side of air shroud on carb side. Does it start right back up ... points or electronic ignition ... plug condition ... does it rev up by working linkage at engine. A lot of Briggs shut off by grounding the ignition from a lever and or cable. Might be moving to the off position upon movement. My bet is on a carb overhaul also. Gary

Willy
Check your suction tube that go's from the carb to the tank I had a tiller given to me because it would only run with a completely full tank. I toke the tank loose from the carb and found the tube in the bottom of the tank,I put it back on and have been useing it for about three years.