Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anybody use a tractor like for trail riding?

OrangeMetalGuy

Don't laugh... I don't have enough lawn to keep me busy cutting for as long as I like, but what I do have is lots of open field and streams out back. Been thinking it would be fun to put together a machine to ride the fields, streams and woods with. Let's see... Large-frame Simplicity (probably the 7000-series) with 12 or 16hp motor, hydro, ag tires for the back... Probably a winch would be good to have. What else? Anybody run one like this?

Growing up the neighbors had paths for 3 wheelers. My brother and I would take the AC716H and our grasshopper(718) down the paths! The AC handled things well, especially since it would not have a mower deck hanging under it. The grasshopper would be harder as those front wheels on the deck could get hung up easily.

I think I almost wore a set of tires out :D cruising with my three granddaughters http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/BLT/bonding3.jpg . The neighborhood thought it was neat. That was moments past and they are starting to do their own supervised driving now. I am still lucky enough to run up and down the street with my Soverign and pick up the occasional RLM and WBSB to repair. Now when I was a teen, I had the Farmall "M" to run to town with if something was needed. Town was only three miles away, but it was fun.

My son and I helped out with a BSA Eagle Project to build a walking trail at one of the local parks. We hauled fill dirt with my 61 Wards to bad spots from one end of the trail to the other. My worst worry was going down some of the slopes with a trailer loaded with about 800 lb of dirt. A driveline brake is not too good on steep and angled ground. Once we unloaded the trailer, it would be 3rd gear and WOT back to the dirt pile. We did the job with an old Simplicity built tractor and amazed most of the other fathers of scouts who have the new boxstore stuff.

I use my garden tractors all the time on the farm here to do various jobs on all sorts of terrain much more useful than a 4 wheeler to me.I have large ATV tires and wheel weights on the ones I use hard.My farm runs from 450ft above sea level to 1000 ft above sea level so they're used on some steep terrain.Also do alot of gardening with them too.The ones I use regularly are several Sunstars,Simplicity 9020,Massey Ferguson 1655,Ariens Grand Sierra,Ariens GT models,Craftsman FF 18,Yanmar 1300 16HP with 4WD and a few others.

A friend of mine used to go on trail rides with some of his buddies. Someone in this area even used to organize a yearly garden tractor poker run for charity. That would be one long trip between taverns I would think:D