Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Using a float mode battery maintainer

OrangeMetalGuy

I have one of the Black & Decker battery maintainers, I'd like to put on the 712H once in a while if I am not running it for a long time. There's a decal on the engine that says to remove the regulator/rectifier if welding or using a quick battery charger.. am I ok putting a battery maintainer on without unplugging the R/R? The plug on the stator leads is in pretty bad shape (good conductivity but looks a little melted so I am not crazy about touching it).

I run a maintainer on mine... no problems... also jump started to battery terminals , also not recommended... no problems... I think if I were to weld on the machine I would disconnect the regulator/rectifier for sure. the crimp on connector for the reg/rec is a simple thing... next time you disconnect to weld, replace the push on connector then.:D

I jump cable to the batteries all the time. The reason it is "not reccomended" is that the chassis grounding provides a resistance to limit the charging rate of the battery. In a practical sense(such as in my auto shop) the penalty of that resistance can mean a much increased time in preparing to start the engine. I have never heard of a case where that was an issue though. The charger should not be an issue if the machine is deactivated. What they were concerned about with that label was likely the damage that can be caused by reverse polarity or arcs from a high current contact possibly igniting an indoor fume concentration. Welding is another matter entirely due to the high currents involved and random groundings.