Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT 19 series II

Brettw

Just picked up a 7119 with a blown engine. (really purchased it for the vac setup, and that is in great shape) Haven't had the time to even look yet, but the PO said it had a hole in the block. What is the best option for a repower? Short block? Other options? The tractor is in such good shape, hydro lift, very good deck, I'm thinking of a repower and then selling the 7114.

What about a Kohler Courage 20 hp. Has anyone repowered with this engine, or are there systematic problems? If I can find a block or running Kohler KT series II, is it worth the rebuilding? Are they good engines?

I would go command! I hear the courage motors are junk. Thats why they are in the cheapies... At least that is what I have been told. Something about cheap metals and the cylinders wearing fast...

I have a line on a KT 19 Series II, complete. I has a rod knock, but runs. Is it very pricy to rebuild these? Are the worth it, as in good engines? Or am I wasting my money?

quote:
I take it that you sold the Vanguard that you had listed a while back?
Yeah. Sigh................. But, may have a Command 23 hp PA-66551 available, new. Just need to see if it would work. Now THAT would be some serious chutzpa!

Well, I tore the KT19 down last night. Busted connecting rod, block is junk, but I already found one. Now I will need the connecting rods (going to replace both right away), 2 sets of rings, gaskets, misc. Anyone have a good line on the best place to buy these parts? I am getting some help from another member, but maybe someone has some good info?

Thanks, Steven. I have been looking there. Thought I had everything but am going to need one piston. From what I am finding, I think they cast them out of pure gold, and hand file them to exact size.