Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modifier1

Drilling Crank for Elec Clutch

Modifier1
Ok so I found a place to pick up a snow blower,lift arm,hitch and clutch to install on my 716H. I brought my tractor with me just to make sure everything fit. Well it would have I guess if would have had the original eng. Man am I learning or what? Here's the deal the shaft is to short to install a manual lever clutch and he had an electric clutch that fit on the shaft and the pulley looked to be in the right position but there is no hole in the end of the shaft to secure the elec clutch. Has anyone drilled out the end of the crank shaft. I looks like you can pull the hood and get a straight shot at it. Should this be done by a machine shop? Any ideas on how to drill it straight. Here's a pic of the situation. Thanks

PhanDad
I drilled a hole in the end of a B&S 16HP single cylinder engine to accept an electric clutch. The metal was soft and drilled easily with a hand held drill. Original Briggs hole is 3/8-24 (fine thread). The shaft length was 3+" not short like your engine's. Don't know if that would effect metal hardness. Hopefully there's a keyway on the shaft to stop the clutch from spinning on the shaft.

Modifier1
Thanks PhanDad, I didn't think it would be to bad to do just to make sure hole was straight. I am leaning towards using the mid pto cone clutch as suggested by Berntime and wilm169. Does someone have a picture of the 7100/900 snow blower hitch with the pulley set up on it. I should be able to set up the idler on the frame under the cone clutch. I think I found the hitch but the guy who has it was not sure what mod it was off of.

HubbardRA
I drilled the other end of a Kohler crank once. I was installing the flywheel when the threaded portion of the crank broke off during torquing. I ground the area flat, center punched it drilled it and threaded it to 7/16 UNF, a lug bolt. It worked fine and was still working well when I traded off the engine. I did not use a machine shop, just a hand drill.

Ronald Hribar
I had the oiption of using the electric clutch or the midpoint pto on the snow machine of Simpleton7016. Thought electric clutch would way to go. Was wrong, a properly setup mid pto is the best way

Modifier1
Thanks Ron, the more I read on this set up the better it looks. I found the blower and I think the the same place might have the hitch also. Hoping to pick up this weekend. This site has been a great help and a lot of knowedgable people. When I get this going I will keep everyone posted.:)

Modifier1
I was just contacted by the place that has the 42" blower. He has the hitch w/pulley the blower ( in excellent condition )and the lift rod for $200. Does that sound reasonable?