Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lights and smoke, part 2

Thanks to those who responded to my last message regarding my (poor attempt at) light wiring melting into the sunset. I'm building my confidence to try again, but have further questions. For those who missed the first episode, the "new" 725 runs great without the lights, which apparently haven't been hooked up in decades. - The lights are old signalstat 7s. The tail light bulb is approx. 4 watts, while the front are 50W each (1156). Does that sound right? - I'm going to use 12 gauge wire on all lines to the lights back to the starter switch. Is that heavy enough? - the voltage regulator (United Tech, RFT12A3) has a free connector labeled "L" of the three on top. The gen line is attached underneath. Any idea what the L is for? (apologies to the gentleman who wrote the fantastic docs on electrical systems...I just can't think that hard at this hour.) I've recreated the wiring diagram here for my 725 as it appears. My thanks to whoever created the original that I've adapted. Thanks again for all the great feedback! Galen http://chainsaw.rutgers.edu/~gwork/misc/725elec.jpg

The terminal "L" is what you hook lights and other accesories too, 12 gauge wire will be fine, just try that, everthing else sounds fine, good luck,-BradW

Galen, I don't really have any answers to your questions - sorry - BUT, I think your kill switch should be connected from ground to the points box on your engine, not to the starter switch. John(ri)

Ah, yes. Even I recognize that does make more sense. I will double-check. I didn't take an ohm meter to that circuit and quite possibly mistracked the wire through the tangles. thanks! Galen