Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My beat up snowblower and my plan to repair

Michiganmobileman

I got this three years ago on a trade and it works but the space between the auger and the housing is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. The auger is really beat up and wore down, and I had thought about trying to weld up the edges to add to the diameter.

Plus I have several weak areas that need attention, my quickee weld job was from last year to get through the last snowfall. Now I need to remove the patch and fix it right along with several other spots.

The wear bar is almost new but the rest is pretty rough. So now comes the unique part:D:D My son works at a tanker truck build and repair shop and has access to lots of goodies8D. This fits him well as he has been a curious hard working fast learner all his life. He was like me at a young age and was taking things apart to see what made them work by 5 or so. The Mrs and I were over at their house this summer for one of the grand kids birthday parties and I spotted one of his current projects and a scrap piece of nice shiny stainless steel lying on the ground. Light bulb went on in my head, wouldn't it be cool to line the snowblower with something like that and not have to weld up all of the auger. I figured on getting a flat piece and working in to the circle needed. He says no dad we have a roller and can put a curve in it for you. So after getting some measurements and a few weeks of waiting he brought it over last week:p

Nice bend over at the bottom to slip over the existing, will need to be trimmed some to fit and then I will look for some stainless carriage bolts to hold it in place. Will keep everyone up to date as I progress. Greg

OOOH,,, A stainless hopper insert. It looks like A LOT of gravel has passed throught that housing. IMHO, I would almost look for a blower housing that doesn't require a lot of small repairs, but I would still add that SS insert into the replacement.

That should work great. Do you know what the clearence was originally between the Auger and housing? Mine both have at least a 1/4". Been thinking about putting some rubber pieces in the center of the auger where it finally throws the snow and making them fit close to the housing. I have a truck mud flap that would make a lifetime supply.

That stainless will look sharp in there. Can he make you a liner for the shoot too? That I think would help plugging up problems a lot..

No where near a beat up as this one. Has all the damage as the one above plus and it still blew snow good. Even had a bent auger. How do you straighten a bent auger? With the tractor wide open you push the blower into a hard packed snow bank and it will self straighten. This was Blower#3 on the 7790 the first two were worse than this.

OMG! The only one worse then that was one I saw that the guy went thru the wear bar due to no skid shoes and swore he used it like that for 10 or 15 years. It had over 3/4 inch wear but looked perfectly straight! I passed on it but someone got a blower that had been grinding concrete for years...

Look at the time you're going to save. Come out in the morning, look into the snowblower, shave, comb your hair, then put it to work. :D That's a great addition.

Oh, I was hoping and I am so glad Maynard provided pics of one his famed gladiator snow blowers. 8D That is a cool picture. If the man who runs this blower asks you to move your car, do it now. :O The imagination marvels at the thought of all the lawn furniture, bicycles, bird baths, mail boxes etc. that went out that chute. OO :D