Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rebuilding 6hp briggs in a 1966 Broadmoor?

simplicity707

The original engine in my 1966 simplicity broadmoor has started knocking, and it's worn out. Can I either rebuild it, or get a new short block? The Simplicity dealer told me rebuild parts were not available, and neither was a shortblock. So I'm kind of at a stand still. The motor runs great, just knocks and smokes. Would anybody know the shaft size? It's original to the tractor, 1966. I found a shortblock, but don't know if it will work or not? http://cgi.ebay.com/6hp-Briggs-Stratton-Vert-Shortblock-3-5-32-Riding-Mower-/130440975333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5ee353e5 Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dave

If your engine is an original, the pulley shaft dimensions are the same. I looked it up in some of my real old information.;) Mounting to tractor will be the same. I would say go for it. Good luck.

Alright, I appreciate it! So basically the engine will work, because the shaft sizes are the same? And yes, it is the original factory engine. Can I change the coil if it doesn't fit? Thanks Dave

quote:
Originally posted by simplicity707
Alright, I appreciate it! So basically the engine will work, because the shaft sizes are the same? And yes, it is the original factory engine. Can I change the coil if it doesn't fit? Thanks Dave
Your existing coil should be mounted with four screws and double check with SEW that that is the case on the short block. Shaft sizes are the same.

Print the attached page and look for your engine. http://www.smalleng.com/linked/briggsspec.pdf All the sizes you ever wanted to see are here. If it is a knock, it could be either a piston crack at the pin, a rod on the shaft, or even a piece of carbon on the top of the piston. A piece of carbon under the intake valve will make it smoke. Your Simplicity dealer is not the place to look for Briggs parts, unless he is also a small engine parts dealer